Recruitment of a National Consultant Specialist in Climate Change and Combating Desertification
File reference:170 / IC / CRIO / 2019
Deadline for receipt of tenders:01 April 2019
Title of the mission: Evaluation of national policies and legal instruments in relation to the 3 Rio Conventions (more specifically framework agreements on climate change and the fight against desertification).
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Level of position and experience: National
Duration of the mission 40 days spread over 04 months
Type and Location:Antananarivo, with possible travel outside Tana
Please send your duly signed proposals (technical and financial proposals) to the e-mail addressOffres.firstname.lastname@example.org mention of the reference and title of the file or to the address below:
United Nations Development Program
House United Nations,
Dr Rasseta Street, Majunga Road
Your proposal must be receivedno later than01 April 2019 at 15:00, Antananarivo time.
Feel free to write email@example.com any additional information.
The feminine candidacies are deeply encouraged.
The Terms of Reference are attached as Appendix 01 of this notice for more details on the assignment.
They mainly describe the context of the mission, the responsibilities assigned to the mission, the products expected from the mission and the profile of the candidates sought.
Background and Objective
With a view to better respecting the commitments of the Malagasy Government in relation to the Rio conventions, the Government of the Republic of Madagascar has received funding from the Global Environmental Facility (GEF) for the implementation of the project entitled “Strengthening national capacities for meeting global environmental obligations in the context of sustainable development priorities “. This project is implemented in partnership with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) aims to help the Malagasy government to achieve and maintain the benefits arising from the 03 Rio Conventions. The immediate objective of this project is to strengthen a targeted set of national capacities to deliver and sustain global environmental outcomes as part of sustainable development priorities. This will be achieved by five components that will develop systemic, institutional and individual capacities in Madagascar. The products of these five components are:
- A road map for integrating the obligations of the Rio Conventions into the National Sustainable Development Strategy / Plan is developed;
- Mobilization of financial resources is more sustainable;
- An Environmental Management Information System is established to improve monitoring and assessment of global environmental impacts and trends at the national level;
- Institutional Structures and Mechanisms are strengthened for the integration and application of compliance with the Rio Conventions into sectoral and regional development planning frameworks;
- The target audience is aware and sensitive to the integration of the Rio Conventions into its activities.
These components correspond to the following results:
- A roadmap for the implementation of the recommendations on improving the legal framework on the integration of the Rio obligations and their inclusion in the Sustainable Development Strategy / Plan is formulated in a highly consultative manner. ;
- Mobilizing the necessary financial resources to carry out and perpetuate actions aimed at meeting the common obligations and priorities of the Rio Conventions and sustainable development will be considerably strengthened;
- An Environmental Management Information System will have been put in place to improve the monitoring and evaluation of global environmental impacts;
- Targeted institutional structures and mechanisms will have been strengthened to effectively integrate the compliance of sectoral and regional development frameworks with the Rio Convention;
- Targeted training and awareness will have led to a better understanding of good practices for delivering and sustaining global environmental outcomes in the context of sustainable development.
As part of the implementation of the first component, the project is recruiting a climate change consultant to assess national policies / strategies and legal instruments, in relation to the mainstreaming of the United Nations Framework Convention on Change obligations. Climate Change (UNFCCC) and the fight against desertification (NCCLD) in these tools.
Since climate change and land degradation are issues that affect all economic sectors and different levels of government, the main task of the consultant is to conduct analyzes of the integration and implementation of both UNFCCC and UNFCCC conventions. UNCCD in policies and strategies at different levels in priority economic sectors and identify strengths and weaknesses.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the project coordinator, the consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Identify and evaluate the impacts of Policy Frameworks and Sector Strategies on the environment in general and climate change and desertification, land and soil degradation;
- Identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, gaps and threats to the integration of climate change and desertification, land and soil degradation in polite frameworksand Sector Strategies;
- Translate the obligations related to the two Convections into programmable activities and put forward a strategy for their integration at the level of sectoral and territorial plans.
– Identify compensation, mitigation and adaptation measures, additional information needs and cross-sectoral issues that have a direct impact on climate change and desertification and land and soil degradation;
- Develop recommendations from policy framework analyzes and strategies for their impacts on climate change for the integration of the Rio Conventions into these policies and strategies;
- Propose a roadmap or strategy for implementing recommendations
- Hold and lead focus group meetings, individual stakeholder consultations;
The expected deliverables are:
- Methodology, Timeline, Roadmap for the practical implementation of the proposed recommendations to ensure an adaptive and evolving process, able to accommodate additional information and changing circumstances
- Report on the collection and analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the Policy and Sector and Territorial Strategies frameworks in relation to their impact on the integration and implementation of policies and strategies on the fight against climate change and desertification. This report will also include translations of Convention obligations into programmable activities
- A consolidated report of the intervention including among others the results of the diagnoses and the recommendations resulting from the analyzes for the taking into account of the climatic changes and desertification, land and soil degradation in the frameworks Policies and the sectoral and territorial strategies. A roadmap for implementing these recommendations is to be defined in the report.
- A consolidated final report covering all the expectations defined in the tasks and responsibilities section and taking into account all the recommendations issued by the project team and the partners in the technical commissions.
All deliverables will be provided in physical and electronic versions and will be submitted for submission for validation. Validation will be done by the Project Management Unit with a committee set up with the MEEF.
Duration of the mission
The work will take place over 40 days spread over 4 months.
Functional skills ;
The consultant must have the following qualities.
- High analytical capabilities
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Good knowledge of the context and a notion of the right of sustainable development;
- Strong ability to coordinate multidisciplinary work
- Rigor in the work, high availability, ability to work in a team and developed initiative;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
|Education:||The consultant shouldbe Specialist in Public Policy Assessments with strong experiences on the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Convention to Combat Desertification:Master Degree in Planning, Land Use Planning, Agronomy, Geography, or others.|
|Experience:||The consultant must have the following experiences:|
- At least 5 years of experience conducting analytical studies and policy evaluations against similar planning tools;
- 5 years of experience in the analysis, development and application of environmental management policies and specifically in relation to the 3 Rio conventions and / or environmental governance;
- Strong knowledge of international conventions, including the Rio Conventions for Sustainable Development and related agreements
- Experiences in spatial planning;
- Experiences in Strategic Environmental Assessment would be an asset
- At least five (5) years of experience in communication, participatory workshop facilitation and reporting during inclusive broad stakeholder consultations
- Perfect command of the French language both orally and in writing, with strong writing skills
- Good mastery of Malagasy
- Very good level of English