Job Description: Team Leader / BALADI Evaluation
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
Through PMSPL II, Social Impact supplements the monitoring and program management efforts of USAID/Lebanon staff and verifies, monitors, and supports USAID program performance in Lebanon. The period of performance of this project is September 2015 – September 2020.
Under this contract, Social Impact has been asked to perform a final performance evaluation of Building Alliance for Local Advancement, Development and Investment (BALADI) implemented by the René Moawad Foundation (RMF). The evaluation will analyze the extent of achievement of the RMF BALADI’s objectives, evaluating its outcomes, documenting successes, challenges, and lessons learned for future programs as well as analyzing its sustainability for future programming. Moreover, it will analyze the project’s impact on empowering municipalities to implement needed local development activities that improve the social and economic conditions in communities, with special focus on host community needs. This evaluation will also address the gender aspect as a crosscutting element of all activities, showing to what extent RMF BALADI has adhered to the USAID’s gender integration requirements.
The BALADI program is to achieve demonstrated long-term collaboration between municipalities or unions of municipalities, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), community-based organizations (CBOs), and private-sector entities to implement and manage community projects and deliver services in a gender-balanced manner. Results shall be achieved throughout the life of the program. The BALADI Cooperative Agreement (CA) started in September 30, 2012 and is expected to end in November 30, 2019.
BALADI’s expected outcomes are:
- The provision of public services through local government support.
- The development of social capital as a catalyst for participatory decentralized gender-balanced governance.
- The establishment of broad-based development through support of locally-championed plans and reforms.
Social Impact is recruiting a Team Leader for the BALADI final performance evaluation with a minimum 12-15 years of experience in local governance, local development and civil society programming. This person shall be responsible for coordinating and directing the overall evaluation, including preparation and submission of the draft and final evaluation report. The Evaluation Team Leader, a local expert and PMSPL II staff members are to conduct the evaluation. The expected start date for the Team Leader is May 31, 2020. The Team Leader will be hired for the duration of the evaluation and work alongside a local Team Member. The Draft Report is expected to be submitted to USAID in August 2020.
The expected LOE for this assignment is 45 days. The Team Leader reports to the PMSPL II Chief of Party in Lebanon, and to Social Impact’s Project Manager in Arlington, Virginia.
· Provide technical expertise and lead efforts in evaluation design, methodology and data collection instruments.
· Agree with USAID/Lebanon a methodology matrix that will answer the objectives of the evaluation questions.
· Conduct interviews, site visits, document review and focus groups as needed.
· Provide leadership for the team and coordinate activities as necessary;
· The team leader is responsible for analyzing information collected through desk reviews, field interviews, and other proposed methods, and presenting interim findings to USAID/Lebanon.
· Lead the preparation and presentation of the evaluation key findings and recommendations to USAID/Lebanon;
· Taking into consideration of feedback from interim findings presentations, the team leader is responsible for writing the draft evaluation report and submitting it to USAID/Lebanon.
· The team leader is responsible for responding to USAID comments on the draft report and submitting a final report to USAID/Lebanon.
· Professional background in international development and strong working knowledge of governance and evaluation methodologies, etc.
· PhD or advanced degree in governance, public administration, law or related social/political science field.
· A minimum 12 – 15 years’ experience in the design, implementation or evaluation of Local Governance and local development projects within foreign assistance programs.
· Broad-based knowledge of constitutional, legislative and regulatory framework for local governance and local development internationally.
· Strong knowledge of USAID regulations related to Democracy and Governance.
· Ability to clearly and consistently organize, manage and present complex information to a broad array of target audiences.
· Ability to work independently and to perform and prioritize multiple tasks.
· Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with teams of varying skills in a cross-cultural environment.
· Experience working on issues related to gender in the context of local governance and local development is preferred.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Overseas and Middle East experience preferred.**
How to apply
Submit your application on our Careers website: