Options Consultancy Services Limited is a leading global health consultancy established in 1992 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Marie Stopes International. We manage health programmes that ensure vulnerable women and children can access the high-quality health services they need. We work with partners to co-create and implement locally informed solutions to complex health problems. This includes governments, development partners, NGOs, civil society and health workers. Our programming is flexible, evidence-based and politically informed. This means we adapt to changing contexts, use data to inform our decisions and ensure our approach is appropriate. Our focus is always on building local skills and systems that last.
Options is a core partner of the consortium delivering the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) Support for Health in Nigeria – Lafiya contract, led by Palladium. Lafiya is delivered at federal level, and with a focus on targeted states (Borno, Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano and Yobe) and additional 3 States of Kastina, Lagos and Zamfara for the COVID-19 response and support. The programme will run for an initial term of up to 7 years from February 2020 to finish by January 2027 (subject to availability of funding and approvals).
The objective of Lafiya is to improve health outcomes for the poorest and most vulnerable in Nigeria through the following interlinked outcomes: (1) increased resources invested in health, and prioritisation of health by the Government of Nigeria (through civil society advocacy on human capital, community accountability for health; and use of data to inform government prioritisation of health); (2) improving effectiveness and efficiency of public and private basic health services (through health system strengthening, and working with the private sector to improve delivery of affordable health services for the poorest populations); and (3) increasing the modern contraceptive prevalence rate (through addressing social norms, demographic impact analysis, and support to family planning demand creation and delivery of services).
FCDO has recently approved a 6-months’ emergency C-19 support through the Lafiya programme to run from October 2020 to March 2021. This support, which follows on from a previous phase of support, aligns with the objectives of the UK government to supporting Nigeria’s COVID-19 response.
Options Consultancy seeks a State Level Communications Expert in Yobe to provide strategic communications advice to support the implementation of Lafiya strategies related to Human Capital Development, the prioritisation of public investment in health and communication of health entitlements to citizens.
The summary purpose and objective of this role is to:
- Develop a strategy for raising the political profile of HCD to galvanise commitment for health spending.
- Support the State Primary Health Care Development Agencies (SPHCDA), Social Health Insurance Agencies (SHIA) and Public Relations Officers from the State Ministries of Health (SMOH) to develop state specific communications strategies to reach citizens at scale with information on their health entitlements.
- Use of Technology: As needed the consultant will be expected to contribute to discussions on digital solutions for communications
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Technical expertise in advocacy, communications and behavioural sciences.
- Experience in using participatory approaches to develop messaging content for reaching political leaders, government and citizens.
- Experience working with development programmes, focused on health communication and supporting accountability for health outcomes.
- Proven ability to manage relationships with government ministries, state and local governments, service providers, communities, and other stakeholders.
- Familiarity with Nigeria’s health system is a strong asset.
- Options is an equal opportunities employer
- Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment.
- We seek people who are pro-choice, energetic and enthusiastic about Options’ vision
How to apply
- To apply, please fill in the form here.
- Closing date for applications is: 16th October 2020
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
- Interviews will be held on a rolling basis as applications are received
- Please note that this role will be subject to full pre-employment background checks including criminal record check, identification check, employment references and right to work verification (where appropriate)