About Asylum Access
Asylum Access is a leading refugee human rights organization headquartered in Oakland, CA with substantial operations in three countries plus partnerships in additional countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Asylum Access works to make human rights a reality for refugees in first countries of refuge. Our unique combination of policy advocacy and legal empowerment creates legal environments that help refugees live safely, move freely and work legally. By helping refugees assert their rights, we are putting power back into their hands. Our work transforms the traditional approach of endless humanitarian handouts to a sustainable solution that gives refugees the tools to provide for themselves and make choices about their own lives.
Asylum Access envisions a world where refugees are seen as people with rights, not just people with needs. Asylum Access believes that by empowering refugees to assert their human rights, we can create effective, lasting solutions for refugees around the world.
The Accountant will perform a variety of general accounting functions; including posting of transactions, posting of accruals, and month-end closing procedures in four different currencies. As a member of the Finance team, the Accountant will be working in the oversight of fiscal operations and accounting systems globally. An emphasis will be given to assist in the preparation for the annual external audit.
The Accountant will work out of Asylum Access’s Headquarters office in downtown Oakland and will be liaising with overseas office staff to ensure timely accounting closing. Proficiency with Excel, Spanish, and nonprofit accounting is required for this position.
- Serve as the accounting subject matter expert with respect to the organization’s accounting system.
- Oversee and maintain an accrual accounting system in compliance with US GAAP (General Accepted Accounting Principles) for nonprofits and other governmental regulations.
- Responsible for consolidated month-end close to ensure the reliability and accuracy of accounting records.
- Responsible for revenue recognition and reconciliation.
- Responsible for maintaining and balancing an automated consolidation system by inputting and verifying accounting data.
- Responsible for the management of fixed assets including registration, maintaining up-to-date files, and preparation of depreciation schedules.
- Prepares consolidated internal and external financial statements by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger, subsidiaries, and departments.
- Ensure compliance with organizational accounting policies and procedures, and bring inconsistencies or issues to the attention of the Financial Director.
US-Based Office Accounting
- Assist in various accounting cycle functions such as bank reconciliations, payroll entries and analysis, fixed assets and vendor payments.
- Assist in the preparation of 1099 form for all HQ contractors, and assist in the preparation of tax-exempt reports.
- Manage month-end grant expense allocations.
Other Accounting Duties
- Work cross-functionally with other department members outside of the Finance and Accounting department.
- Assist with the preparation and coordination of the annual external audit and post-audit activities
- Assist in development of new procedures to enhance the workflow of finance data.
- Provides accounting technical support for all accounting positions.
- Prepare financial reports to meet reporting obligations to funding entities, including foundations and governments
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Maintain working knowledge of local laws from countries we operate in.
- Other duties as assigned.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Finance Director
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP (General Accepted Accounting Principles) for nonprofits
- Minimum of two years of experience in management accounting
- Ability to communicate effectively and concisely both verbally and in writing
- Strong initiative and ability to take ownership of projects, management multiple deadlines, and work effectively with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to effectively handle sensitive and confidential situations with tact, integrity, and diplomacy
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work well with diverse populations
- Demonstrated experience in fund accounting
- CPA certification or equivalent
- Working knowledge of NetSuite
Send your resume and cover letter firstname.lastname@example.org the subject line “Accountant”. In your cover letter, please describe your reasons for applying, relevant qualifications, and how you learned about the position.
Only pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants in need of accommodation during the interview can contact HR email@example.com.
Asylum Access is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. For more information about our organization, visitwww.asylumaccess.org