The Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law at the University of Hamburg offers a structured PhD programme in Legal Studies and awards scholarships. They welcome students from all over the world, which ensures the continued challenge of intellectual diversity and contributes to the programme’s international orientation.
The university provides excellent learning opportunities for PhD candidates who are keen to pursue ambitious projects in an axcellent and interdisciplinary research environment; and
The University of Hamburg is a comprehensive university in Hamburg, Germany. It was founded on 28 March 1919, having grown out of the previous General lecture system and the Colonial Institute of Hamburg as well as the Akademic Gymnasium.
Course Level:Scholarships are available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject:The Faculty has two key research areas
- National and International Market Economy and Governance— legal regulation under the conditions of economization and globalization
- The Limits of Law—the legal challenges of social and technological change
- The Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law awards scholarships of € 1,050 per month towards living expenses. An addition € 100 per month is granted for research costs.
- Scholarship are granted for the full duration of the doctoral program. The continuation of your scholarship each year is subject to an annual review process based on satisfactory academic progress. Please indicate clearly in your application for admission whether or not you will be applying for a scholarship.
Scholarship can be taken inGermany
The Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy Graduate School of Law offers admission to applicants who appear to have an outstanding record in earlier higher education and the skills and commitment to pursue research to the highest level, indicated by an excellent law degree or a non-legal research-orientated master degree (in particular in business sciences, political sciences or sociology)
- For our PhD programme the minimum entry requirement is an outstanding degree in law or a non-legal research-orientated master’s degree (in particular in business administration, political science, or sociology).
- Students whose first language is neither English nor German are required to prove their language proficiency by providing relevant certificates (for details see: Application documents).
Nationality:Candidates from all over the world are eligible to apply.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: An outstanding degree in law or a non-legal research-orientated master’s degree (in particular in business administration, political science, or sociology)
English Language Requirement: Non-native speakers who write their dissertation in German or English must prove their language skills by submitting relevant certificates. German: TestDaF or DSH; English: certificate proving C1 Level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). This requires test scores of at least 100 in the TOEFL ibT / 6.5 in the IELTS / 945 in TOEIC. The TOEFL DI Code is 2258.
Applications can either send viaemailor post to- Albrecht Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Graduate School of Law, Universität Hamburg Fakultät für Rechtswissenschaft, Rothenbaumchaussee 33, D-20148 Hamburg.
How to Apply:Applications should be sent via post or email.
- Application form
- Diploma and transcript of records
- Tabular curriculum vitae
- Index of all publications to date (optional)
- Research proposal (up to four pages)
- Personal statement about why you are applying to the Albrecht Mendelssohn-Bartholdy Graduate School
- Two recommendations from professors attesting to suitability for doctoral work
- Language certificates (German or English)
Application Deadline:The application deadline is February 15, 2019.