Community Surgeon Travel Awards
Application Deadline:1 July 2019
Course Level:Graduate (course, congress)
Provider:American College of Surgeons
Country to Study in:USA
The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS or ACoS) is pleased to announce theCommunity Surgeon Travel Awardsfor internationally-trained surgeons aged 30 to 50.
TheseCommunity Surgeon Travel Awardsprovide international surgeons with the opportunity to attend and participate fully in the educational activities of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) annual Clinical Congress.
TheCommunity Surgeon Travel Awardsare proposed to specifically assist surgeons who work in community or regional hospitals or clinics in countries other than the United States and Canada, or who are from poorly resourced academic departments of surgery in poorly resourced countries.
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine who have completed their surgical training.
- Applicants must be at least 30 years old, but under 50, on the date that the complete application is filed.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must show evidence of commitment to high quality surgery, to surgical teaching, and to improving access to surgical care in their community.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be submitted in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in the U.S. or Canada.
- Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three (3) of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold a clinical or academic appointment or from a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons residing in their country. The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter is to directly address the applicant’s commitment to high quality surgery, surgical teaching, and improving access to surgical care locally. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by the persons making the recommendations.
- The Community Surgeon Travel Awards must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
- Awardees are expected to provide a written report upon their return home, specifically focusing on the value of the visit to the awardee and the potential beneficial effect to patients in the country of origin.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a new application together with new supporting documentation.
Citizens of Poor Countries
American College of Surgeons (ACS)
Fields of study
Medicine — surgery and surgical practice/ teaching
Number of awards
Two (2) will be awarded. A third and new Community Surgeon Travel Award has been donated through the generosity of the Doctors Duremdes family designated for Filipino surgeons.
The value of the awards is $4,000 each.
Each awardee will receive gratis registration to the annual Clinical Congress and to one available postgraduate course held during the Clinical Congress. Assistance will be provided to obtain preferential housing in an economical hotel in the Clinical Congress city.
Method of Application
All applications and all of the supporting documentation must be received online by the deadline date below, in order for an applicant to receive consideration by the selection committee. All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in November 2019. Applicants are urged to submit their completed applications and supporting documents as early as possible in order to provide sufficient time for processing. You mayApply online.
It is important to read theRequirements and overview, and also to visit the official web site (link to it is below) for complete information.
All applications for the year 2019 and all of the supporting documentation must be received onlineno later than July 1, 2019
TheAmerican College of Surgeonsis an educational association of surgeons founded in 1912. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, the College provides membership for doctors worldwide specializing in surgery who pass a set of rigorous qualifications.
Application Deadline:1 July 2019
Open for International Students:Yes