Organization: Geneva Call
The Country Director provides vision and strategic direction to country program in Libya. This includes the qualitative implementation of Geneva Call’s humanitarian response, advocacy, fundraising, security and representation.
Strategy and program implementation:
- Leads on development of country strategy;
- Analysis the humanitarian and security situation in country and identify areas of interests of work for Geneva Call;
- Ensure conflict sensitivity in country programs’ design and planning;
- Provide leadership, and management, against Geneva Call tri annual strategy;
- Ensures that programs are monitored and evaluated. Utilizes the results to inform program decisions and enhance institutional knowledge.
Safety and security management
- Overall responsible for security of GC staff and premises in country;
- Responsible for implementing GC security frame in country.
- Responsible for analysing, anticipating and managing risks that could threaten the safety of the staff, operational viability and the organization’s reputation.
Mission Management & Coordination
- Overall responsible for all resources and implementation of programs and activities in country
- Builds partnerships and represents GC.
- Manages staff, budget, finance assets and funding as per donors and GC procedures and national requirements;
- Ensures the mobilization of necessary resources (registration or renewal of registration in country, logistics, HR…) to implement the country program and contribute to the growth of the missions;
- Overall development and supervision of country teams (including coaching and evaluating) in accordance with internal policies and procedures and national labour laws;
- Promotes and creates a culture to ensure knowledge sharing, innovation and capacity building and further professional development opportunities for all staff in appropriate fields;
- Communicate regularly with staff and promote positive conflict resolution.
- Ensures that Geneva Call’s work in Libya is adequately funded. Build relationships with external donors and proactively identify new donors in the two countries;
- Develop and implement a country fundraising strategy that contributes to achieving the overall aim of Geneva Call in the field of humanitarian engagement for enhanced civilian protection;
- Approves all technical and financial proposals before submission to donors and ensures they are contextual and address specific needs.
Representation and advocacy
- Represents Geneva Call in Libya with external audiences at the most senior level, including with humanitarian actors, diplomats, ministries, opposition…
Build alliances and networks within the humanitarian sector.
A relevant Master’s Degree in political science, in social science or in international relations is required;
Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) or International Human Right Law is an asset.
Minimum 5 years equivalent work experience in a humanitarian organization, including in managing teams of at least 10 people;
Experience of capacity building and mentoring, team leadership and management;
Demonstrated skills and experience in security management.
Strong organizational and analytical skills;
Established network in country of operation;
Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
Outstanding interpersonal and diplomatic skills with experience of negotiations with weapon-bearers and other high-level stakeholders. Demonstrable experience of dialoguing with armed actors would be an asset;
Excellent English and Arabic skills (written and oral).
Nice to have
Sense of humour.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to, or openly supporting, one or more interest groups opposed to the Foundation’s principles and values, or whose previous position could engender safety issues for co-workers at Appel de Genève / Geneva Call, will be excluded from this selection process.
· Position : Country Director 100%
· Based in Tripoli, with movements in Libya and in Geneva.
To apply, please send your cover letter, CV, contact information of references, proof of non-criminal record in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, Ref: “CDLibya” no later than 01 November.
All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for further process.