Organization: Danish Refugee Council
Area Finance Manager
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
Moderate planning, analysis, and problem solving and taking minor decisions relating to the tasks at hand. Responsible for keeping finances and accounting in adherence to DRC’s Internal Controls and support operations
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Financial Accounting, Management and Reporting
- Establish and maintain internal financial procedures compatible with the country’s law, DRC’s Operations Handbook and donor requirements;
- Ensure that proper financial procedures are adhered to and maintained at field office, in coordination with the Heads of Field Office, in compliance with DRC rules and regulations;
- Work with and support Area Budget Holders in budget preparations, revisions, monitoring and follow ups
- Manage day-to-day accounting functions, including regular cash verification, cash/bank reconciliation, monthly cashbooks closing, advances’ reconciliation, timely submission of accounts to HQ finance desk;
- Ensure payments to suppliers and recurrent expenditures are made in a timely manner and authorization done as per Area IDRA
- Ensure adherence to donor rules and regulations as regards financial transactions in South Central Area Office
- Responsible for the preparation of draft financial reports for grants implemented in South Central, and submitting these to the Country Finance Manager for review.
- Ensure a controlled and smooth cash flow management process for the South Central Area Office – promptly advising the Country Finance Manager when replenishment of bank accounts is necessary.
- Oversee the management of bank accounts of South Central area, as well as oversee Cash management and safe(s). Capacity Development
- Works closely with the Support Services Manager, South Central to implement, improve and maintain financial management policies, systems, structures, and procedures within the South Central Area of Operation
- Provide technical support to the Field offices-based finance staff as well as providing leadership to the finance staff in South Central
- Proactively identify and act upon deficiencies and areas for improvement in South Central finance team, providing training and other capacity-building where necessary to ensure that finance staff capacity is continuously developing.
- Conduct on-the-job training Budget Holders in South Central Area Office, guiding them through Budgeting, donor compliance and compliance to DRC handbook
- Oversee South Central’s inventory records updated in cooperation with the South Central Supply Chain Department
- South Central Area office Heavy user for the DRC Dynamics (ERP) System and responsible for training other finance staff in South Central on the use of the system
- On request perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisors in order to allow the organization to function optimally.
- This job description is not a definitive task list but has been done to clarify the responsibilities of the employee.
- Reporting to: Area Support Services Manager – South Central
- Direct reports: Finance Specialist, Finance Officer, Finance Assistants
To be successful in this role we expect you to have the following:
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 6 years of working experience with an international NGO, UN Agencies, and at least 2 years in Financial Management capacity
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in skills (MS-Excel, MS-Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Experience working with Automated accounting and Finance Software
- Able to work with tight deadlines and under minimum supervision
Education: (include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting (or related degree)
- Certified Accountant Qualification coupled with 8 years’ relevant experience will be considered in lieu of Bachelor’s degree
Languages: (Reading and Writing)
- English (Fluent)
- Arabic (Desirable)
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- Support Services Manager
- Area Manager
- South Central Office Project Managers/Budget holders
- Country Finance Manager
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 6 months
Designation of Duty Station: Baghdad
Start date: 1 December 2018
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on:
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 10-October-2018
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo