At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
The Assistant Controller is responsible for all aspects of CARE USA’s headquarters (HQ) accounting and for CARE USA’s largest business unit (USA01).
With regard to CARE HQ accounting, this position is responsible for complex areas such as revenue accounting, investment accounting, as well as accounts receivable, cash application and accounts payable (inclusive of employee travel advances and expense reporting) and fixed assets. This position provides leadership and direction, overseeing complex gift processing exceeding $200 million annually and supports the Fundraising department and related management reporting. This position also oversees external financial reporting, which includes the preparation of quarterly financial statements in accordance with US generally accepted accounting principles (US GAAP) and serves as a key liaison for the external auditors during the interim and year end audit. Specialized skills and strong accounting knowledge is required.
Coordination with internal and external partners is critical, including collaboration with the Shared Service Center in Manila, grant & programs managers leading USA01 programs, and CARE’s external audit firm. The Assistant Controller directly supervises three managers and five accounting & financial reporting personnel indirectly. The Assistant Controller is expected to identify areas for improvement and create & execute solutions.
The Assistant Controller provides training and capacity building to the finance, accounting and reporting team to ensure skills are appropriate and that the team can respond to the rapidly changing accounting and compliance environment.
- Supervise US Headquarters Accounting Team
- Responsibility for revenue recognition and revenue accounting
- Accounting oversight and AR/AP
- Budget responsibilities
- Oversee preparation of US GAAP financial statements and represent CARE to external auditors
- Perform other duties as assigned related to CARE’s strategic initiatives
- Bachelors in accounting or related field; masters preferred
- Certified public accountant (CPA) or equivalent
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, including new reporting and accounting standards
- Strong verbal and written communication and time management skills
- Exposure to large ERP; PeopleSoft preferred
- More than ten years of work experience
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience
- Solid understanding of accounting and financial principles and ability to apply these principles to corporate accounting
- Thorough understanding of GAAP
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, customer focus
- Good managerial skills. Proven ability to motivate and monitor staff development.
- Keen analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong excel skills
- Experience supervising Accounts Payable and/or Account Receivable
- Comfortable working in a large accounting & reporting system (PeopleSoft preferred)
- Exposure to non-profit or similar project based accounting
- Ability to prepare training materials and facilitate training for both team members and other departments (non-accountants)
To apply for this position, please visit our website athttps://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CAREU…
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran.If you’d like more information about yourEEOrights as an applicant under the law, please click*here.*
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE’s career website at any time.