Under the over-all guidance and supervision of the Director, Internal Audit and Investigations Group (IAIG), the Audit Specialist shall report to the Manager of the Internal Audit Section of IAIG at Headquarters, Copenhagen. The individual will conduct internal audits to evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls in accordance with IIA Standards and UNOPS policies and procedures. This involves financial, operational, performance and compliance audits, as well as the following related activities:
- Contribute to the annual risk assessment for the audit of UNOPS business units;
- Develop audit work plans, conduct audit field work and prepare reports for issue to management which are clear, concise and as per Institute of Internal Auditors’ (IIA) Standards;
- Prepare working papers and, where appropriate, review those of other team members;
- Communicate audit results orally and in writing and make presentations to management;
- Undertake frequent, and at times extended, missions to UNOPS Offices, including to areas with hazardous working conditions. Travel requirements are estimated at approximately 30% of the time with field missions lasting from 2 – 3 weeks;
- Monitor the status of implementation of audit recommendations and assess whether appropriate actions were taken to close the audit recommendations;
- Where applicable, coordination and oversight of project audits of business units, as assigned, that are conducted by external auditors (i.e. outsourced audit firm);
- Review project agreements with regards to the consistency of the wording of audit clauses contained therein;
- Review the terms of reference as well as reports received from outsourced auditors;
- Perform duties as appropriate for assisting with the coordination of long-term agreements with audit firms for outsourced project audits;
- Assist field offices regarding questions on long-term agreements with audit firms for outsourced project audits;
- Identify recurring and systemic issues in audit reports, as well as lessons learned. Support preparation of reports to audit committees and other bodies;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of Continuing Auditing and Data Analytics Exercises, as well as conducting periodic engagements with business units by employing assigned data analytics tests;
- Contribute to the on-going development of professional practices and knowledge management within IAIG and for oneself, including internal and external quality assessments of the internal audit function;
- Undertake quality assurance of IAIG audit reports to ensure that the final audit reports adhere to editorial requirements;
- Perform other related duties as required, such as advisory services, forensic and special audits, etc.;
- Contribute to the professional development of other personnel within the unit.
- Judgement and conceptual thinking: ability to identify key audit issues, present sensitive and difficult audit findings and recommendations to management;
- Creativity innovation and intiative;
- Analytical skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, particularly in English language;
- Integrity and objectivity;
- Tactful and balanced approach in dealing with audit matters;
- Excellent interpersonal skills within a range of professional contexts;
- Result orientation and client focus;
- Computer skills;
- Demonstrated ability to use the following tools; Microsoft office suite, Google suite, Electronic audit management software (e.g. TeamMate), Computer assisted audit techniques (e.g. IDEA), Enterprise Resource Planning (e.g. Oracle/PeopleSoft, Agresso), Project management tools (e.g. Wrike)
- Master’s degree in finance, accounting, audit, economics, business management, commerce or related fields;
- Bachelor’s degree in related field with additional 2 years relevant work experience in combination with professional auditing certification maybe accepted in lieu of the Master’s degree.
Any of the following professional certifications is desirable:
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- National Audit Certifications (CPA, CA, etc)
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Certified Information System Auditor (CISA or equivalent)
- Minimum of 5 years of internal audit or other directly relevant experience such as Enterprise Risk Management, assurance, evaluation of risks, internal control, etc. is required.
- Experience with an international audit firm or supreme audit institution is desirable.
- Experience in mine action sector, UN peacekeeping activities or grant management will be an asset
- Familiarity with the field administration support systems used in UN/UNOPS managed mine action programmes is desirable
- Fluency in written and oral English required.
- Knowledge of second UN working language, particularly French, is desirable.
Please apply before 28 January 2019 :https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=17114#6