Location: Toronto or Montréal
Supervisor:Manager – Volunteer Mobilization
Position Type:Full-Time, Permanent
Language: Bilingual English and French
Job Requirement:Must be able to work in Canada
Travel:This position will include travel between the Toronto and Montreal offices and the possibility of international travel
Hiring Range:$57,000 – 60,000
The Volunteer Mobilization Officer – Training Lead (VMO-T) is an integral part of the Volunteer Mobilization Team. The incumbent processes an academic background in education/adult education and skills in both training development, as well as volunteer recruitment and on-boarding. This position reports to the Manager, Volunteer Mobilization and provides cross-functional support across the organization for the training, selection and on-boarding of volunteers. This person will contribute to a growing program that is reducing poverty and advancing equality for women and girls in some of the world’s poorest countries.
The incumbent will be responsible for the development and implementation of a strengthened training continuum approaches and content for international volunteers to ensure that Crossroads is at the forefront of international volunteering. As a member of the Volunteer Mobilization Team, they will lead on the content development and systematic revision for all training sessions from pre-departure to in-country orientation and debriefing, as well as provide train the trainer sessions to the staff who will deliver volunteer training. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for a portfolio of volunteer recruitment including the recruitment, selection, and on-boarding of volunteers. In these respects, this position implies cross-cutting and multidirectional responsibilities linked to quality assurance, improved services and innovation to help reinforce Crossroads’ capacity to support volunteers, staff partners and programming.
The following main responsibilities are indicative only and may change over time:
- Volunteer Training Continuum (50%)
- Lead in the development and revision to ensure the on-going strengthening of the volunteer training continuum, including pre-departure training, in-country orientation as well as individual and group debriefing;
- Lead in developing and delivering facilitation training to Crossroads’ staff and volunteers who play a role in delivering the volunteer training continuum;
- Contribute to the strengthening and development of Volunteer Management tools;
- Contribute to the streamlining of organisational and volunteer policies and approaches, in particular the Sexual Violence Code of Conduct and Policy, across the on-boarding process;
- Lead in the development of training sessions on the Volunteer Engagement Guide for Crossroads’ staff, as well as partner organizations.
- Volunteer Recruitment & On-boarding (45%)
- Develop and implement targeted volunteer recruitment strategies based on recruitment and programmatic annual objectives;
- Develop and maintain relationships with organizations, businesses and institutions for the recruitment of qualified volunteers in-line with programmatic needs;
- Lead the selection and on-boarding of qualified North-South and e-volunteers, in coordination with the Program Team and partner organizations;
- Lead in the providing pre-departure and engagement training to selected N-S and e-volunteers;
- Participate actively in response to emergency situations, including being on-call for the 24\7 emergency line;
- Promote excellence and best practices in volunteering within Crossroads International to continuing building a reputation for excellence in volunteer recruitment and retention;
- Participate in the development and implementation of the volunteering annual operational plan to further advance volunteering and best practices.
- Perform Other Duties as Required (5%)
- Support organizational goals and objectives as part of the strategic and operational plans;
- Contribute to the ongoing emphasis of process improvements, including current projects within the Volunteer Team
- Post-secondary degree in Education, Adult Education or related field
- Minimum of three – five (3 – 5) years of experience developing and implementing training sessions, with diverse, adult audiences an asset
- Experience developing training sessions as part of an on-boarding process
- Experience developing and delivering train-the-trainer sessions
- Familiarity with online and distance education and learning a strong asset;
- Previous experience selecting, recruiting and on-boarding volunteers
- Overseas experience and knowledge of successful practices in international volunteering preferred
- Previous experience working with Volunteer Cooperation Programs funded by Global Affairs Canada or the Ministère of International Relations and La Francophonie preferred.
- Previous experience within a not-for-profit environment is an asset; interest in international development and/or volunteer organizations preferred
- Bilingualism (French and English) required
- Commitment to growth and development
- Commitment to inclusion, equity/equality, diversity, and empowerment
- Commitment to women’s rights and experience in integrating a gender analysis
- Innovation, creativity, collaboration
- Organized self-starter, ability to manage competing deadlines in an effective manner to meet tight deadlines
- Must be able work independently and effectively collaborate within a team across multiple geographic locations
- Adaptive and tolerant to uncertainty
- Client- and service-oriented
- Strong organizational, administrative, communication & interpersonal skills
- To work an average of 35 hours per week, where some overtime may be required
- Travel in Canada will be required, with infrequent international travel
Crossroads Internationalis a leader in international cooperation and has been fighting inequality for 60 years. Crossroads works in some of the world’s poorest nations in sub-Saharan Africa and West Africa with local partner organizations to create decent jobs and to empower women to become leaders and live free from violence. Every year, we engage experienced volunteers and staff North and South who apply their expertise locally to address global issues. Together, we are leveraging knowledge, expertise and dollars to create a more just and equitable world.
Crossroads International is a registered charity supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC), other government and non-government funders, and many individual donors around the world.
ONE WORLD where poverty is eliminated, equality prevails, and the rights of women and girls are fulfilled
How to apply
If you are interested in joining a dynamic international development organization, please submit your résumé and cover letter inone document(Word or PDF) 5pm on May 11th, 2020 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must include “Volunteer Mobilization Officer – Training Lead – Your Name” in the subject line of the e-mail. Any applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Crossroads is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect this commitment. Crossroads is committed to diversity in the workforce and individuals from all minority groups are encouraged to apply. We thank all applicants in advance, howeveronly those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will occur on an ongoing basis and may be held before the closing date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.