This posting concerns a short-time assignment of about 25 days working for Welthungerhilfe in a freelance capacity.
Objectives and responsibilities of the position
The objective of the consultancy is to build the capacity of selected MOH healthcare facility staff on the management of biomedical equipment so as to be able to properly take care of the equipment, identify problems, report and repair to keep them in useable conditions
Your most important duties are as follows:**
· Review relevant national and international standards and guidelines for Biomedical Equipment Management including the essential package for health services policy. The consultant is expected to have in depth understanding and knowledge of biomedical equipment management and existing capacity for Biomedical equipment management in Liberian healthcare facilities as well as best practices in Biomedical equipment management.
· Review the planned medical equipment supply within HSS and assure to respect this equipment for the suggested biomedical equipment management measures. Work in close cooperation with the medical equipment expert.
· Visit project target counties and targeted health care facilities along with MOH/WHH if required and hold discussions with the target county Health Teams & later targeted health facilities to obtain basic information to help in designing capacity strengthening curriculum and measures for biomedical equipment management
· Based on field visits, review of relevant literature, experience, best practice, discussions and review of Government of Liberia policy on biomedical equipment management, produce key lessons learnt and key findings
· Prepare biomedical equipment management handbook and or manuals for use in capacity strengthening measures
· Develop criteria for selection of selected healthcare facility staff for capacity strengthening in Biomedical equipment management
· Evaluate the capacity of selected staff and identify the gaps for biomedical equipment management and produce a report for approval of MOH and WHH
· Based on selected staff evaluated capacities and gaps for biomedical equipment management, develop a training curriculum and practical activities (including training duration) that builds and strengthens capacity of the selected staff in biomedical equipment management.
· Carry out MOH and WHH approved Biomedical equipment management capacity strengthening activities within agreed timeline and budget
· Provide progress reports for biomedical equipment management capacity strengthening activities
· Based on documented practice on management of medical equipment, make proposals for improvements
· Prepare final consultancy report with contents including: Background/introduction, discussions with key stakeholders ( Project level, MOH central level, County health team level, health care facility level) and results in a suitable format, list of key findings during field visits, list of recommended best practices for biomedical equipment management, curriculum and list of activities for capacity strengthening conclusions, recommendations. Annexes to include manuals, handbooks for biomedical equipment management capacity strengthening, list of Health care facilities visited, Field visit schedules, signed attendance lists of participants, minutes of meetings
· Perform any other tasks necessary for the achievement of the objective of the consultancy
Your qualifications will include:
The consultant should meet the following criteria:
· A degree or Diploma in biomedical engineering or clinical engineering or any relevant qualification
· 5-10 years’ experience in capacity strengthening for institutions in biomedical equipment use, installation, configuration and management etc
· Strong technical and hands on skills installation, configuration, operation, maintenance, retirement and disposal of medical equipment or electronic systems.
· Strong analytical abilities in order to determine the effectiveness of technologies, as well as understanding and adapting to new regulations.
· Excellent attention to detail to direct work activities of personnel.
· Leadership abilities in order to assist personnel in solving problems that arise.
· Regional experience in west Africa and specifically in Liberia
Your requirements will include:
§ Financial offer, budget incl. fees/honorarium per working day, travel costs, accommodation, per diems all as a lump-sum
§ Technical offer detailing a brief methodology for performing the services based on TOR; workplan, and a summary of your experience in similar assignments. The methodology shall be evaluated and weighted based on its clarity, completeness, fulfillment of the TOR requirements, methods proposed and workplan of not more 25 days.
The evaluation of offers will use the Quality and Cost Based Selection methodology as detailed in Annex C of the ToR”.
How to apply
Please send the following details, quoting reference “LBR 1061-18 KfW HSS CS-004” Bio-Medical Management Consultant” by September 6, 2020 to Stephane.Pauwels@welthungerhilfe.de local time in Liberia 20:00 pm