Organization: SOS Children’s Villages International
The humanitarian impact of the Syria crisis continues to reverberate across the country and the wider region. Most immediately, the crisis has left millions of people facing a daily struggle to survive amidst pervasive threats to their lives, security, well-being, and dignity. Overall vulnerabilities continue to deepen, disproportionately affecting children and leading to strong violations of their rights.
SOS Children’s Villages federation is an independent, non-governmental international development organisation that has been working to meet the needs and protect the interests and rights of vulnerable children since 1949. Since the start of the Syria crisis seven years ago, SOS Children’s Villages has operated several emergency projects within Syria but also in Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq as well as in the Gaza strip. SOS Villages d’Enfants Monde Luxembourg (SOS LU) is a member of the worldwide federation and is currently supporting emergency projects in Lebanon, Syria and Iraq in the fields of education, parent child reunification and Mental Health and Psychosocial Support through funding from the Luxembourg Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The association works in partnership with the national member associations in the three countries as well as with the International Office Region for the Middle East and North Africa (IOR MENA), which plays an advisory, supportive and technical supervision role to the national associations to ensure that the organization’s quality standards are met.
- Purpose of the assignment
To enhance the capacity of SOS Children’s Villages staff in targeted emergency projects to efficiently implement project management standards. Specific duties include:
- Develop training materials adapted to the targeted audience and deliver on-site training on child protection in emergencies standards, project cycle management with an emphasis on feasibility study, concept note/project proposal, logical framework, planning, monitoring and evaluation, quality reporting and accountability to donors;
- Advise project staff on monitoring and reporting to ensure quality processes (e.g. data collection, monitoring tools, narrative reports, etc.);
- Advise project staff on adapted exit strategies in the best interest of the child.
The consultant will be engaged to perform tasks and duties on an ad-hoc basis based on the requests jointly formulated by SOS LU and IOR MENA. Each individual request will be accompanied by specific Terms of References. During each consultancy work, the consultant will report to SOS LU Programme Department and IOR MENA Head of Emergency. IOR MENA will provide logistics support to the consultant. SOS LU will be the contract signatory.
- Duration of contract
Duration: 8 months
Period: 1 November 2018 to 30 June 2019
The number of days of assignment will not exceed 60 days within this period.
- Place of work and travel involved
The consultant will be home-based with travels to Lebanon, Syria and Iraq. Additional travels to Luxembourg and Casablanca may be required.
- Qualification and knowledge/experience required
Advanced university degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in political science, international relations, law, international human rights, humanitarian law or other related field. A first level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience and knowledge
- At least 5 years progressively responsible humanitarian response work experience with UN and/or NGO
- Proven experience in the following areas: multi-annual and annual programming and planning; project design; project management under public funding; preparation of project documentation.
- Knowledge of principles and approaches to child protection programming in humanitarian situations and working experience in child protection programme management
- Experience in developing and delivering training packages and in facilitating training workshops
- Experience in playing an advisory role
- Previous working experience in the Middle-East
- Fluent in English
- Arabic is a strong asset
A full Curriculum Vitae as well as a financial proposal (daily rate) based on the above description must be sent to email@example.com with the reference SOS/RH/18/03.