Terms of Reference
Call for Proposals
Capacity Building Needs Assessment for SABIR Implementing Partners.
Post Title: Capacity Needs Assessment for SABIR Implementing partners
Contract type: Service Contract
Location: Erbil, Iraq or neighbouring countries with accessibility to the North-East of Syria (desirable)
Starting date: ASAP.
Duration of assignment: 30 working days (maximum).
Sector: Stability and crisis recovery.
Deadline for applications: 27h of Nov 2020.
Name of the project: SABIR- Syria Area Based Integrated Recovery.
Expertise France (EF) is a public agency created on 1st January 2015 and merging 6 French public agencies under the supervision of the French Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Economy and Finance with a strong inter-ministerial vocation. EF offers project engineering and technical assistance by developing and implementing international cooperation actions worldwide. EF operates in various fields of development and institutional cooperation including safety and security reform, post-crisis/ stability, public health, human rights, strengthening of institutions and NGOs and governance.
The Syrian conflict is having a devastating and lasting impact on Syria and across the region. With the conflict almost entering its ninth year, the needs of the affected populations for assistance, including 13.1 million people inside the country and more than 5.6 million refugees plus their overstretched host communities in neighboring countries, are of an unprecedented scale. In 2013, the Syria crisis has transformed itself from a humanitarian emergency to a multidimensional and protracted crisis directly affecting several countries in the region – mainly Lebanon and Jordan, but also Iraq, Turkey and Egypt – whose social and economic capacity to deal with the ever growing influx of refugees is all but exhausted. All actors involved in the response agree that this massive challenge requires a comprehensive regional response not only including humanitarian aid but also longer-term structural support to host countries and communities, especially as no political solution to the crisis is in sight in the short-term.
Many communities inside Syria are facing disrupted humanitarian support and quickly deteriorating public services and infrastructure. In that context, and since 2013, Expertise France has developed and manages direct stabilization projects to conflict-affected communities in Syria, in particular through support to civil society organizations.
- Programme background
Funded by the French MoFA, the overall objective of the SABIR Project is to reinforce stabilization in North-Eastern Syrian areas recently liberated from Islamic State through the contribution to enhancing the resilience of Syrian populations the by supporting the progressive recovery of essential services and local economic and by strengthening the capacity of CSOs and CBOs.
EF through this intervention works with 11 local community-based organizations and civil society organizations to implement activities that foster stability in Deir ez-Zor, those organizations were recently emerged as alternatives of the absence of public actors and are currently in need of organizational and institutional capacity building in order to better respond to the needs of the population and play a role on a community level in the future.
- Job Description/ Assignment
Purpose of the assignment:
EF, under SABIR project, aims to reinforce the capacity of the partnered NGOs through assessing their current institutional and organizational capacities to subsequently deliver capacity-building activities and supports, for this purpose, EF seeks to contract a private consulting firm or non-governmental organization with experience and capacity in this field.
The expected results of this assignment are to conduct detailed capacity assessments of 11 local NGOs and community-based organizations and to propose capacity development strategy, plan and activities with a detailed budget.
Assignments and tasks:
- Conduct an in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the capacity-building needs of the 11 SABIR implementing partners.
- Present a detailed report with findings and recommendations, propose capacity development strategy and plan that can be implemented during the lifespan of SABIR project based on the assessment findings.
- Identify required needs for assessed implementing partners in terms of training, support, and identify the modes and modalities addressing them.
- Propose detailed budget of the cost to address the capacity needs of assessed partners.
- Present the findings at project stakeholder’s meetings if necessary.
- An inception report including, detailed methodology, tools for data collection, report format and timeline.
- A final report of the Capacity Needs Assessment including but not limited to: capacity gaps analysis, identification of the main priorities (activities, supports), capacity development strategy for future intervention, recommendations from the exercise, and capacity challenges at the organizational levels.
- A detailed action plan for the capacity building activities and support.
- A detailed budget shows that approximate cost of the proposed and prioritized capacity building activities and support.
All deliverables must be provided in English.
Eligible entities to apply:**
- Local or international private consulting firm or organization with a bank account and an official and valid registration in Kurdistan Region of Iraq or neighboring countries, existence of a field team in the NES is desirable
- Coordinated team, through existing TPM, NGO, or association of able individuals.
- Proven previous experience in undertaking capacity needs assessments for local NGOs.
- Entity has working experience with Syrian NGOs.
- The consulting firm may comprise a minimum of 3 members, of which at least one (1) team member must have experience in conducting institutional capacity assessment, strategic management, organization development and audit, (2) one Arabic native speaker member with excellent oral, written, communication and reporting skills in English, (3) a member with experience in financial management, data management and M&E.
- Selection Criteria:
- Team members experience in conducing capacity building assessments (35%).
- Technical Proposal (30%).
- Financial proposal (35%).
How to apply
Applications should include:
1) Technical offer (2-3 pages): motivation, methodological approach, human resources (CVs for key personnel should be attached).
2) Financial proposition and workplan.
3) A sample of previous work, relevant to this consultancy.
The application should be submitted in English before the 27th of Nov 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org with clear indication of the “call for proposal” title in the email subject.
If no response was given by EF within 2 weeks of the application deadline, please consider that your application has not been shortlisted.
- Timetable and Reporting
The duration of the consultancy shall not exceed 1 month.