Care Work Advisor, CATALYZE Innovative Blended Finance
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also prov ide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role:
CATALYZE is currently seeking a Care Work Advisor to participate in early-stage design of the Care and Domestic Work Venture Lab (C&D Ventures), a platform for designing, piloting, and scaling models that create sustainable businesses from the unpaid care work that traditionally falls to women and girls. Unpaid care work can be a major impediment to women’s equitable participation in formal employment, entrepreneurship, education, and society more broadly. By advancing private sector solutions to these challenges, C&D Ventures aims to provide women with enhanced access to economic opportunities.
The Care Work Advisor will be responsible for ensuring that the evolving design and business concepts are in line with evidence-b ased good practices to best support women and girls. Their expertise in gender and care work will help shape the Lab and its design. The Care Work Advisor will engage extensively with the C&D Ventures team, as well as external experts to gather and collate additional insights to feed into platform design.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, consultant tasks will be divided into two phases as the scope of work may evolve with changing circumstances. Phase 1 will be focused on refining the concept by soliciting feedback from key experts in gender lens investing, care and domestic work, and private sector development, in addition to engaging with entrepreneurs in select target markets to understand their business models and opportunities and challenges to scale. Based on the findings, the Care Work Advisor will provide inputs to the development of a request for information (RFI). Depending on the progression of the COVID-19 pandemic, the C&D Ventures team may extend the co ntract through December 2020 to support development of the request for proposals.
The Care Work Venture Lab is part of USAID-funded CATALYZE Program, a $250 million 8-year program, designed to mobilize $2 billion in private capital, especially to underfinanced social sectors and higher risk countries around the globe. It aims to enable investors to explore and identify commercially viable opportunities and approaches to creating jobs, developing sustainable social services, tightening and rationalizing supply chains, and advancing inclusive growth.
The role reports to the Team Lead, Care and Domestic Work Initiative at Palladium International.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
* Ensure that C&D Ventures design and business concepts are in line with evidence-based good practice
* Provide insights on the relationship between unpaid care and domestic responsibilities and women’s economic empowerment to further develop the initial concept and facilitate the design of C&D Ventures
* Provide written inputs to the concept and request for information relating to care work and its economic impact
* Articulate a theory of change describing how the Venture Lab will contribute to women’s economic empowerment in line with USAID’s WGDP policy framework
* Conduct an economic analysis to estimate long-term impact of highlighted business models and C&D Ventures
* Support brainstorming and engagement with the care work expert community
Key competencies required:
* Extensive experience assessing care and domestic work gender disparities in emerging markets
* Experience developing economic models and conducting economic analyses
* Broad and deep familiarity with developing country contexts, particularly in Africa and Asia
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Fluency in English
* Relevant experience with private sector engagement and MSME development preferred
* Written inputs to the concept and RFI
* Participation in brainstorming sessions with the C&D Ventures team and key leaders in the field
* Economic analyses of the impact of potential business models and C&D Ventures
Level of Effort:
This will be a part-time consultancy from late April to the end of June.