The European and Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) is seeking proposals for Career Development Fellowships in poverty-related diseases and child and adolescent health.
The purpose of this Call for Proposals is to support early- to mid-career researchers (“fellows”) by providing them with opportunities to train and develop their clinical research skills.
The objectives are:
- To promote retention of postdoctoral researchers and postgraduate medical researchers in the clinical or field research areas of sub-Saharan Africa
- To equip the fellows to establish themselves as independent researchers with ability to establish their own research teams at host institutions in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Proposals should enhance the ability of the fellow to design, plan and execute clinical biomedical and/or social science/ethics research projects within the scope of the EDCTP2 programme.Due to the extraordinary global crisis of COVID-19 that is also affecting African countries, this topic should also be considered by applicants.Funding Information
- The call budget is EUR 3.75 million.
- The requested EDCTP contribution per action should not exceed EUR 150,000.
- The funding level is 100% of eligible costs.
- The maximum duration of the proposed action is 36 months, with a foreseen start of the action no later than 1 October 2021. Proposals from women are encouraged.Expected ImpactProjects funded under this Call for Proposals should:
- Contribute towards the achievement of SDG3 ‘Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages’
- Promote career progression of researchers in Africa
- Encourage entry and reintegration of African scientists trained abroad and
- Enable the retention of postdoctoral and postgraduate researchers in their respective research fields and that the researchers develop into independent researchers and team leaders at host institutions in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Ultimately these grants will contribute to the generation of a critical mass of clinical or field/social science/ethics researchers and institutional research capacity in sub-Saharan Africa.Eligibility CriteriaA proposal/application will only be considered eligible if:
- Its content corresponds, wholly or in part, to the topic/contest description for which it is submitted
- It complies with the eligibility conditions for participation set out below, depending on the type of action.
- The applicant must be a legal entity established in sub-Saharan Africa (the applicant legal entity).
- The fellow must be employed or have guaranteed employment by the applicant legal entity (the host organisation) where they intend to remain working for a minimum of two years after the expiration of the grant.The applying fellow must:
- Be a resident of or be willing to relocate to a sub-Saharan African country;
- Be either a graduate in a subject relevant to the EDCTP2 programme, with a PhD and up to five years’ relevant postdoctoral research experience, or a medical doctor with up to five years’ research experience;
- Have at least one publication in an international peer-reviewed journal;
- Not have been funded under this fellowship scheme before.
- The requested EDCTP2 contribution per action shall not exceed EUR 150,000.
- The maximum fellowship duration shall be 36 months.Apply by5th August.