The movement restrictions and quarantine measures put in place as a response to COVID-19 are having a significant economic impact, in particular for migrants and refugees from Venezuela. The majority were working in the informal sector and have thus lost their ability to generate income and most, due to lack of documentation and/or regularization, are not included in national response plans and/or social protection mechanisms. Cash-based interventions (CBI) has therefore been identified as a key mechanism to support migrants and refugees from Venezuela, in particular, those who have lost their income and are struggling to meet their basic needs.
IOM’s Venezuela Response Team (VRT) based in Panama is supporting program implementation in 17 countries in South and Central America and the Caribbean. In order to rapidly support country offices in either scaling up or setting up new CBI programs, the VRT is seeking a CBI expert to provide tailored CBI support and guidance to both missions and the VRT team.
Description of the Assignment
Under the direct supervision of the VRT Regional Integration Officer, and under the overall supervision of the VRT Senior Regional Program Coordinator, the successful candidate will:
- Assess CBI needs, opportunities, challenges and capacity gaps in relevant missions and advise VRT senior management on CBI engagement, including on integrating CBIs into operational plans and strategies to efficiently meet program objectives, liaising with technical sectors;
- Provide timely and tailored CBI assistance to missions requesting CBI support, including, but not limited to:
a. Supporting missions in the development of technical guidelines, CBI Standard Operating Procedure (SOPs), inform and support project planning, design and Implementation and/or scaling up of existing programs, considering local context, and available technologies in line with IOM’s policies and procedures for CBIs based programming.
b. Supporting missions in the implementation of needs assessments to select, design and implement appropriate cash modalities and methodologies;
c. Providing guidance on market assessments and price monitoring for key commodities based on identified needs for mission programs and context.
- Identify capacity building needs and conduct relevant thematic trainings to address these capacity gaps.
- Closely coordinate with the M&E officer to ensure that relevant output and outcome indicators for CBI are systematically being collected and analyzed in a manner that will help the VRT determine efficiency and effectiveness of CBI delivery as well as the appropriateness of the transfer modality choice.
- Advise VRT and missions on risk management for CBI based program implementation.
- Provide guidance and inputs to the VRT Project Support Unit in proposal development;
- Prepare ad hoc reports on IOM’s CBI based activities in the region, including proposals for operational improvements and potential scope for IOM’s CBI programming.
- Ensure compliance with IOM’s policies and procedures for CBI based programming.
- Participate in the Response For Venezuela (R4V) CBI Regional Working Group;
- CBI assessment reportclearly indicating needs, opportunities, challenges and capacity gaps in missions identified during inception meeting with VRT senior management and then follow up skype calls with each mission. The report must include clear recommendations on CBI engagement within the Venezuela Response.To be delivered within the first 2 weeks.
- Workplanbased on the assessment report. The workplan will include the priorities that the consultant will focus on during the consultancy. The workplan should be coordinated with and validated by the VRT.To be finalized within the 3rdweek.
- Tailored support and guidanceprovided to missions, based on the workplan.Weeks 4- 8.
- At least two years of international experience in programming in Cash Based Interventions;
- Excellent knowledge of CBIs in humanitarian emergencies, early recovery contexts and/or development contexts throughout the project cycle;
- Experience of CBI implementation in health emergencies an advantage;
- Experience with sectoral CBIs (shelter, health, nutrition, food security, WASH, livelihoods, education, etc.);
- Knowledge and understanding of key developments and actors within the humanitarian area;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs and building effective partnerships with private sector;
- Proven ability to supervise, train and direct staff and operations in transitional contexts;
- Work experience in the Latin America and Caribbean region advantageous.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please send your most updated CV to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.Please specify in the subject of the email the title of the position you are applying for(Cash Based Interventions (CBI) Expert to Support the Venezuela Regional Response)and do not it send later than May 15, 2020.Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications not following these instructions will not be considered.
Note that due to the current situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, this position will be carried out remotely at first.
- Your earliest starting date