Organization: Islamic Relief
Islamic Relief Somalia (IRS) has been operating in Somalia since 2006 and has responded to conflict and drought affected people through provision of life saving assistance. Through our projects, IR has continuously been providing safe drinking water, improving hygienic sanitation facilities, increasing hygiene awareness, particularly to ones living in IDP camps; empowering the urban poor and distressed working children, engaging in conflict management and mitigation and strengthening of community cohesiveness and co-existence.
The position will be reporting to Area Coordinator and will be in charge of the day-to-day construction sites management and overseeing of the construction process in all the latrines under his coverage area .He/she will contribute to the design stage, supervise the contractors to ensure good workmanship as per set standards and specifications and timely completions of the construction work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
§ Overall lead for field implementation (at construction site) of project activities and community mobilization
§ Supervision of contractors in all construction sites to ensure the construction work is done as per the standards.
§ Experience on designing water facilities infrastructure like elevator tanks with kiosks, troughs and watchmen/generator rooms.
§ Experience on designing water supply system for easy access to rural communities, where Islamic Relief projects are targeting.
§ Ensure the construction work is done as per technical specification and good workmanship
§ Collaboration with various stakeholders for the approval of infrastructures design and standards mainly the relevant authorities
§ Monitor the work, progress tracking and prepare regular progress of work to be submitted to the Area Office In charge.
§ Maintain a filing system for all site memos and instructions, measured quantities of work, reports, and an electronic library of photos and other documents and correspondence pertaining to the construction activities
§ Facilitating construction companies to correct interpret standard drawings and putting them to scale on the ground and ensuring that materials and equipment used for construction works are acceptable quality and quantity approved and as specified in the BOQs.
§ Advise the Project Manager on levels on completion of all construction works and commitment of the contractors to conforming on the details of their contracted works.
§ External coordination with respective line ministries and clusters on regular basis and project update sharing.
§ Be familiar with, and ensure the adherence to, the organization’s policies and procedures.
§ Abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, HAP, and Islamic Relief’s policies and procedures.
§ Any other assignment given by supervisor/line management.
- Work independently on tasks related to project planning and implementation with periodic reporting and direction from supervisor;
- Make decisions on project implementation and its daily management responsibly based on available resources, skills and knowledge of staff and access to affected communities;
- Ensure implementation of locally appropriate and feasible projects in close consultation with local authorities and communities;
- Proper management of financial resources, equipment and project utilities.
- Work in adherence to IR’s policies and procedures.
Qualifications, Experience and skills
- University of diploma of civil engineer, structure or architecture and other relevant field from recognized university.
- Minimum of 03 years’ experience including at least 01 years working for national and international NGOs in pure construction.
- Knowledge of community based approaches in humanitarian and development settings is desirable.
- Knowledge of international standards such as Child protection, Sphere, do no harm, CHS and HAP is desirable.
- Experienced in rural and water infrastructure construction management.
- Competency with the analysis of contextual information, and developing clear, informed recommendations.
- Proficiency in English (Written and spoken) is essential
- Good IT skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Word and Excel is essential.
· IRW Somalia Program is inviting applications from qualified/Motivated candidates who are interested to submit their CVs and cover letters explaining, how they meet Job description.
· Each application should be addressed to the HR account: firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
· An updated CV; and · An application letter
· Academic Qualifications (certificates/Transcripts)
· Copy of your National ID card or passport
· And contact information for three work-related referees.
· Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IRW is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: Please make sure the job title in the mail subject line is clear as Construction Supervisor.