Job Title:Centrality of Protection in Humanitarian Action Review Consultant
Duty Station: Home-Based
Duration: 18 February 2019 to 15 March 2019
Contract Type: Individual Consultant
Contract Level: Level C (Task based, Estimated fees – between US$ 11,000 – US$15,000)
Closing date : 21 January 2019
In 2016, the Global Protection Cluster (GPC) Operations Cell and the Protection Standby Capacity Project (ProCap) carried out a desk review of field and global protection cluster actions to promote the centrality of protection. To build on this initiative, the GPC again sought to review global and field efforts to reinforce the centrality of protection in humanitarian action. The 2017 review aimed to enhance the understanding of the range and diversity of approaches to the centrality of protection, as well as reflect on good practices, challenges and learning opportunities. The review was drafted by a ProCap Advisor and the GPC Coordinator, with substantive inputs from GPC members and was released in 2018.
The GPC therefore requires assistance to carry out the 2018 review of field and global protection cluster actions to promote the centrality of protection in humanitarian action. This activity is covered by earmarked funding from the US government.
OVERALL PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF ASSIGNMENT:**
Under the supervision of the Senior Global Protection Cluster Coordinator, the Individual Consultant will have the following responsibilities:
complete desk review
by 25 February 2019
design and conduct survey
by 25 February 2019
consult with in-country staff
by 4 March 2019
draft the GPC 2018 Centrality of Protection in Humanitarian Action Review
by 15 March 2019
MONITORING AND PROGRESS CONTROLS (REPORT REQUIREMENTS, PERIODICITY, FORMAT, DEADLINES):**
a.The final product: comparative analysis completed, standard table per protection category completed and final recommendations for the GPC, its Areas of Responsibility and the Protection Clusters.
b. Delivery Periodicity, as applicable:
c. Work on the basis of time employed (Payment at the end of Consultancy after delivery of services).
d. If it is to result in a written product specify: final draft of the GPC 2018 Centrality of Protection in Humanitarian Action Review
i. Number of pages: n/a
ii. Language(s): English
iii. Number of copies: 1
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Master’s degree (law, international law, international human rights law, international relations, international development, humanities or other related degree)
- At least 11 years of relevant professional experience working in a humanitarian context, including substantial field-based experience in protection and management;
- Demonstrated evaluation and research experience in humanitarian contexts;
- Previous work experience in a cluster setting.
· Good knowledge of International Humanitarian Law, International Refugee and Human Rights Law;
· Good knowledge of the cluster structure as well as the particular inter-agency nature;
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: the ability to successfully and effectively communicate with people in a multi-cultural environment;
· Excellent analytical skills: data analysis skills including the capacity to collect and analyse qualitative and quantitative data from various sources to produce meaningful analysis for strategic planning, programing, advocacy and other needs.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
Qualified and interested applicants should submit the required documents listed below by e-mail toHQDIPVAC@unhcr.orgreferring in the subject title to Centrality of Protection in Humanitarian Action Review –- 02/FPS/DIP/2019:
· Letter of motivation, addressing each of the personal requirements in the vacancy notice;
· Completed UN Personal History Form (P11) signed, including testimonials/degrees/certificates.
- The UN personal History Form is mandatory;
- P 11 forms are available onwww.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc
- All application received without a P 11 will not be considered