The course will endow learners with an understanding of the key issues in cultural, political and organizational environment of relief assistance and appreciate the legal and emotional issues impinging on those affected by disasters. The main objectives of the course include being knowledgeable of the human relief system and understanding the roles and relationships of organizations in the Netherlands relief system; develop an understanding of the characteristics of natural disasters and even complex emergencies. Teamwork is an asset in relief work and application of techniques that increase individual responsibility in humanitarian work.
Topics to be covered include the following:
- General context of complexity and diversity in relief situations: provide an understanding of the Netherlands context of emergency relief work, explaining the distinctions between natural disasters and conflict induced emergencies and provide an introduction to the Netherlands humanitarian system.
- Managing the team in a relief operation; focus on team building and being a team member both theoretically and practically.
- Minimum standards and indicators
- Understanding gender and cross cultural issues; introduction to gender and cross cultural awareness and the implications on project and programme planning and management as well as personal and team behavior
- Dealing with the Media; how to deal with journalists, the benefits of doing the same and how to be professional when handling them.
- Professional and personal development planning for relief work; motivations behind being a relief worker and ways and means
- Humanitarian Law: explain the legal framework of humanitarian assistance and that include human rights, humanitarian and refugee law.
- Personal Health, Behaviour and Safety; highlight problems, signs and solutions for individuals and teams that are working under the demanding conditions that emergencies tend to produce
- Individual security issues; an outline of the global context of humanitarian relief today and the main risks confronting humanitarian workers.
- Identifying personal strengths and weaknesses and how to utilize the same.
Course Begins on 1st of every month for three months.
Course Level: Certificate Course
Cost: Amount €400
To register for this course, kindly contact
Zuiderbrink 63, Gravenhage