Organization: UN Children’s Fund
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, the right to be safe!
UNICEF Ethiopia has been working in Ethiopia for the last 65 yearssupporting the national and regional efforts towards the progressive realizationof the rights of children and women.
We do this by supporting the achievements of the Growth and Transformation Plan II as well as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through our programmes in Health, Nutrition, WASH, Child Protection, Education and Social Policy and Evidence on Social Inclusion.
In addition, UNICEF Ethiopia has been leading the support in humanitarian programmes relentlessly working towards responding to emergency needs.
How can you make a difference?
You will provide technical support, operational guidance, implementation and quality assurance of all projects/ programmes under the UNICEF ECO child protection output on violence against children, which includes social service workforce strengthening
Key Accountabilities & Duties
- Management, supervision, technical and advisory support
- Provide support to the Chief in development of annual work plans and review meetings. This includes development of strategies and determining priorities/targets and performance measurements.
- Coordinate and document work plan progress monitoring and support to ensure results are achieved according to schedule and performance standards. Regular reporting to the Chief, including critical issues for timely action.
- Supervise staff and provide technical assistance/advice on all aspects of Child Protection programming and implementation, including on multisectoral programming to prevent and respond to VAC and social service workforce strengthening (including delivery and monitoring of a core package of multisectoral services) and implementation to enable supervisees and colleagues to achieve programme/performance objectives.
- Provide technical advice to key government officials, NGO, UN system and other country office partners on policies, strategies, best practices and approaches to prevent and respond to VAC and to strengthen the social service workforce development and other related issues to support programme development planning, implementation and delivery of results.
- Coordinate/ensure the availability of technical experts (with Regional Office/HQ) to ensure timely support throughout all stages of programming/project processes.
- Participate in strategic discussions to influence policy and agenda setting for combating poverty and all forms of violence and discrimination against women/children by advising on and advocating strategies and approaches to promote/catalyze social changes for a protective environment for child survival, development and well being in society.
- Prepare policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use, information and consideration.
- Participate in country discussions on child protection emergency preparedness, programming and contingency planning to ensure proactive and appropriate response are in place to meet onset of emergencies nationally or other designated locations.
2. Programme development and planning
- Plan and/or provide technical assistance and operational support to the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis to ensure that current comprehensive and evidence based data on child protection issues are available to guide UNICEFâ€™s strategic policy advocacy, intervention and development efforts on child protection and rights and to set programme priorities, strategies, design and implementation plans.
- Keep abreast of national/regional/international development priorities on child protection and rights, particularly with regard to VAC and social service workforce strengthening to enhance programme management and delivery.
- Participate in strategic programme discussions on the planning of child protection programmes/projects, including related to VAC and social welfare that are aligned with the 2018-2021 Strategic Plan, Country Programme, programme guidance and other evidence-based documentation to ensure alignment with the latest evidence.
- Formulate, design and prepare programme proposals and take other actions to leverage funds for the areas of responsibility, reflecting priorities for the multisectoral areas of violence and social welfare to advance the VAC programme, including a focus on the social service workforce. Ensure such proposals are aligned with UNICEF’s Strategic Plan and Country Programme and programme guidance and coherence/integration with the UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Establish specific goals, objectives and strategies and implementation plans for programmes/projects on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentation for programme review and approval.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies and to determine national priorities/competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide authoritative technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programmes/projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.
- Prepare regular programme updates and reports for management, donors and resource partners.
3. Programme management, monitoring and quality control of results
- Plan, monitor and control the use of programme resources (financial, human, administrative and other assets) certifying/verifying compliance with organizational rules, regulations and procedures, donor commitments and standards of accountability and integrity. Ensure timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Plan and/or collaborate with monitoring and evaluation initiatives to establish benchmarks, performance indicators and other relevant UNICEF/UN system and Sustainable Development Goal indicators, to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the programme.
- Provide technical support to data collection and analysis to inform if/where to adjust programme and policy investments
- Participate in major monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to engage stakeholders to take required action/interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in programme and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Monitor programmes to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Submit/prepare high-quality programme/project reports to donors and other partners to keep them informed on programme progress and critical issues.
4. Advocacy, networking and partnership building
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through networking and advocacy with local/national governments, UN system agency partners, donors, internationally recognized institutions, NGOs, funding organization, research institutes and private sector to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities to promote goals and achieve sustainable and broad results on VAC programming, including social service workforce.
- Prepare communication strategies and implementation plans and activities for maximum communication impact and outreach to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances for sustainable results and support fund raising for UNICEF and Country Office child protection programmes and emergency interventions.
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on child protection and related issues to ensure organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda setting. Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues UNDAF planning and preparation of programmes/projects including emergency preparedness.
5.Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Promote critical thinking and innovative approaches and good practices for sustainable child protection programmes through advocacy and technical advisory services.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, introduce and implement best and cutting edge practices on child protection, particularly VAC and social welfare programming, cross-sectoral systems based programming, management and information systems. Institutionalize and disseminate best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development of policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programmes and projects.
- Organize/plan/implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on child protection and related programmes/projects.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in public health or social sciences such as international development, sociology, social work or other social science field is required. Specialized training in preventing and responding to VAC and social service workforce strengthening is an asset. *A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of relevant responsible professional experience at national and international levels related to multi-sectorial violence prevention and response programming and social welfare services, some of which were served in a developing country is required.
- Relevant experience in child protection and related areas, programme/project development and management in a UN system agency or organization is an asset. Experience in both development and humanitarian contexts is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated strong communication, presentation and writing skills, including report writing, oral presentations and development of technical documents is essential.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the latest developments and issues related to violence against children, social service workforce strengthening and gender are essential.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=516492