This program’s mission is to care for the at-risk and impoverished children of Kampala in and around Uganda. Volunteers will be placed at one of three different Child Centers in Jinja, Mukono or Pallisa. The Childcare centers include a primary school, secondary school, special needs unit, vocational school and clinic all in one. The centers cater for students aged from 4 weeks to 16 years. The schools cater to the children and also the local communities. The children’s centers are run under religious beliefs and although the facility does not require volunteers to hold the same religious values, they do require volunteers to be courteous of their beliefs. Volunteers play a major role in these facilities, helping to care for the children across all aspects and assisting with the running of the organizations.
This highly interactive and varied project does not require participants to have a background in the field of childcare, as there are many ways you can assist.
Goals of this Project:
- Provide essential care to the vulnerable children of Uganda
- Improve the future prospects of at-risk children in Uganda
- Give impoverished children quality care, compassion and a sense of hope
- Enable inter-cultural exchange which benefits both locals and international volunteers alike.
How can you help:
Volunteers will contribute in a number of ways on this program and can expect to undertake the following tasks:
- Help to care for the children at childcare centers and community day care centers
- Help the children with daily homework
- Attend to and interact with the children, narrate a stories , rhymes and songs
- Create activities and entertain the children with games
- Assist with administration and running the facility
- Affordable fees
- Help in schools in rural communities, working particularly with younger children and help care givers in schools and communities
- Placements based 2-3 hours from central Accra
- Help with education, sports, games and meal times
- Provide exposure to English speaking, health and hygiene hand wash, and cleanliness
- Suited to enthusiastic, lively volunteers who are good with children
- Volunteer for up to 3-5 hours per day from Monday to Friday and weekends are free to plan local sightseeing.
- Suited to enthusiastic, lively volunteers who work well with children and adolescent girls
- Gain working skills to improve career development skills to boost your CV while working alongside local placement staff.
Arrival and Orientation:
The program orientation begins on the first and third Monday of each month, and volunteers need to arrive in Miercurea Ciuc the day before orientation.
After you have registered for the program, please book your flight to arrive at Bucharest Henri Coandă International Airport (OTP). Your airport pick-up is included in your Program Fee. We recommend that volunteers under the age of 18 travel internationally with a notarized letter from their parents to support their documentation. Alternatively, you can arrive into Cluj Napoca Airport (CLJ) which will incur an additional pick up fee of 400 lei (about $100).
When you arrive, you will be greeted at the airport by a member of the local team and transported to the volunteer accommodation. Your accommodation is covered by your Program Fee and includes the night prior to your start date.
Travel Insurance & Visa :
- Adequate volunteer travel insurance, proper volunteer or tourist visa and provide a criminal background check which must be uploaded or emailed to us prior to arriving in India.
Registration and Program Fee:
- All programs attract a Registration Fee (from US$280) on top of the Program Fee (partially refundable until 60 days before your program start date*). A 5% international banking fee is added at point of payment.
- All our program fees counts on weekly basis and starts at US$180/per head.
- Minimum stay starts from 1-2 weeks and the fee is US$550 /per head and 4 weeks stay cost just at US$ 600/per head.
What it covers in your program fee?
- 24/7 in-country support
- Airport pick-up
- Drop off to Airport
- Program orientation
- Volunteer placement
- Discounts on tours and activities
What extra costs will I have?
- Visa, flights, travel insurance (mandatory), vaccinations, criminal background check, souvenirs, in-country trips or tours.
- Transfer back to the airport at conclusion of the program
- Spending money – Volunteers in India – Kampala, Uganda generally find US$60 to be sufficient for weekly personal extra expenses
For additional information ordiscounts on your registration and program fee, please visit our website or contact us.
How to Apply
Additionally, volunteers applying to join this program will be required to supply to following documentation:
- Application form (mandatory)
- Passport copy (mandatory)
- Emergency contact (mandatory)
- Passport (mandatory)
- Police check (if necessary)
- Resume (mandatory)
- Visa (mandatory)
- Flights (mandatory)
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Vaccinations, (mandatory)
- Criminal background check (if necessary only)
- In-country trips or tours plans. (If you interested, mention in your application)
For Terms and Conditions, please check or apply herehttps://kenosisfoundation.org/TermsConditions.asp