Organization: Adventist Development and Relief Agency International
Closing date: 17 Sep 2018
REQUEST FOR CONSULTANT
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) Somalia is an International Non-Governmental Organization registered in Kenya and operating in Somalia. ADRA Somalia is seeking services of a Chlorine Dosing Technician for Water Supply.
To ensure that the established water supply facilities provide water that is safe for public consumption, ADRA has put in place measures that will safeguard public safety by ensuring that water supply services meet the required minimum guidelines and standards.
For this purpose, ADRA is seeking the services of a technician who can train Water Supply Operators on operationalization of chlorine dosers and dosing in these water supply schemes.
Objective(s) of the consultancy
At the end of this training, the trained team should be able to operate, service installed chlorine water dosers and ensure adequate dosing and chlorine concentration in water for public supply.
Self-pumping chlorine dozers (Model Grundfos Chlorine Dosing Pumps) have been installed at several newly established water supply schemes in Kismayu. The local water operators however do not know how to operate them.
The appropriate technician for this task should be able to do following (among others):
- Familiarize the Water Supply Operators with installed Water Dosers.
- Demonstrate to the team how to operate and services the dosing pumps.
- Considering the capacity of the holding reservoir and the rate of pumping / flow rate, calculate appropriate concentration of chlorine required at each location.
- Take the Water Supply Operators on how to prepare the correct concentrate of chlorine for the dosers using HTC 65% Chlorine Powder.
- Instruct on the appropriate rate of replenishment / topping up of the chlorine in the dosers.
- Demonstrate basic measurements for monitoring of concentrations (for public consumption) in strict observance of appropriate guidelines and standards.
- Demonstrate Water Supply Operators proper record keeping and tracking of activities for this process during operations.
Expected results: (measurable results)
It is expected that the Technician will guide the team by providing technical support in chlorine dosing (pump injected dosing) and that trainees will be able to continue with this on their own. Other deliverables include:
· Simple guidelines and procedures on chlorine dosing (pump injected);
· Simple data entry / recording tools for tracking at all stages of the process;
· Guideline on measurement of chlorine concentration on line distribution (Free residual chlorine of between 0.5‑2.0 mg/L provide effective continuous disinfection in water distribution systems. Facilities that receive water from registered drinking water service providers should ideally receive a free chlorine residual of between 0.2-0.5 mg/L in their water supply).
· A short report of the entire exercise about the training.
The consultancy will last for a period of 9 days, with 2 travel days in and out of Somalia and 5 days of fieldwork and hands-on practical training sessions while the remaining 2 days will be for preparation of training materials, the required tools and reporting. The Consultant should be ready to travel any time before end of September 2018.
A suitable consultant must be at least a Diploma Holder and above.
With experience in relevant pump injection chlorination processing in water supply systems. Knowledge on Grundfos Chl;orine Dosing Pumps Water Doser pumps for in line dosing will be an added advantage.
Interested persons should send application and detailed CV showing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org September 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.