Post Title: Civil Engineer Coordinator (Full time) **
Duty station: Mogadishu
Reports to: Program Manager
Technical line Manager: Civil Engineer Manager
Project number: 2522004
JOB SUMMARY & PURPOSE:
The Nordic International Support Foundation (NIS) is a Norwegian-registered non-profit organization engaged in stabilization and reconciliation initiatives in conflict and post-conflict areas. Our primary areas of intervention are institutional development, public service delivery, and conflict resolution. Headquartered in Oslo, Norway, NIS is currently implementing projects in Somalia, Myanmar, and the Sahel. NIS Somalia is currently implementing a wide range of projects in South Central, Puntland and Somaliland with plans to expand in to new areas. The organization has offices in Mogadishu, Baidoa, Kismayo and operational presence across all federal member states of Somalia.
1. Specific duties & responsibilities
1.1 Programme Planning, Development, coordination and Management
· Apply standard engineering practices and precedents in the construction, maintenance, repair and liquidation of structures and facilities.
· Apply commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in completing portions of larger projects related to the constructions or repair of buildings, roads, bridges, culverts and other related structures required in the field.
· Ensure specifications and standards for the quality of civil works undertaken by the contractors through checking by the contractor’s physical works based on technical drawings.
· Produce technical drawings using latest engineering software’s for all civil works.
· Estimate cost of repairs to damaged buildings, facilities and systems in order to determine whether repairs or replacement are feasible.
· Produce bill of quantities (BOQ) for all civil works.
· Review the project activities submitted by the contractor for the execution of the works to establish whether the methods, arrangements, order and timing of the activities are realistic.
· Assist in preparing bid documents and managing the bid process for infrastructure projects and assessing quotations submitted by the contractors for carrying out variations, collect market rates regularly, and prepare market rate analysis of all components of civil works.
· Participate in planning, coordination and execution of the project activities in all region in Somalia.
· Support any relevant assessments or studies and provide feedback on findings to the relevant stakeholders for quality programming
· Schedule and implement the approved work plans for field activities in consultation with the entire project team
1.2 Project Monitoring and reporting
· Remain alert to identify and appropriately report any emerging project issues in targeted locations.
· Conduct preliminary site investigations to obtain field data such as buildings, roads, water supply systems etc.
· Conduct regular monitoring visits to the project site to assess the efficiency of resources
· Prepare and submit relevant reports containing brief descriptions of actual versus planned progress, problems encountered and their solutions and comments on the quality of work and contractor performance.
· Submit weekly project updates, monthly progress report and contribute to project final/quarterly reports, with good quality progressive photos.
· Compile field visit and assessment reports as appropriate.
· Ensure that all documentation of the project is promptly and correctly filled and archived as necessary.
· Follow-up regularly on project deliverables, monitor progress and identify and report the gaps that needs to be addressed;
· Assist in documenting case studies and success stories (written & audio) for the project and or support other project if need be.
2. Competence Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience:
· Degree in civil engineering, construction management or other related fields.
· At least five years of Progressively responsible job related in Construction.
· Knowledge of computer application including use of Microsoft Office packages and engineering CAD software’s, such as AutoCAD/ArchiCAD/Civil 3D.
· Knowledge and experience of project management is desirable.
· Strong leadership and demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team, prioritize tasks and manage multiple activities with attention to detail and ability to meet very tight deadlines.
· Experience of working with INGO in a similar capacity will be an added advantage.
· Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
· Knowledge of structure designs and ability to design multi-story building using structural software.
· Political and cultural awareness and experience of working where insecurity is a major issue
· Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential, Fluency in Somali language is desirable
· Planning and organizing: Ability to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, and to identify priority activities and assignments.
· Communication: Solid communication skills, both oral and written; ability to provide both detailed and strategic analysis and negotiation skills; ability to prepare written reports that are clear, concise and meaningful. Good facilitation skills.
· Teamwork: Strong interpersonal skills; willingness and ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a diverse work environment in a multicultural, multiethnic organization.
· Ability to work well under pressure and handle concurrent activities simultaneously.
3. Other Duties
· Any other duties assigned by the Program Manager of SES the Program & Technical Director and the Country Representative.
4. PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
The employee will be accountable for and evaluated on the responsibilities and the competencies, based on NIS’s Performance Management System. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
· The Job Description
· The individual work and professional development plan
· The competency framework
How to apply
Only those interested candidates who meet the profile stated should submit their applications accompanied by a detailed CV to the following address: