Background Information – Job-specific
The Iraq IIC was launched in 2015 following an inter-agency assessment into the information and communication needs of displaced populations in Iraq. Responding to one of the most complex humanitarian crises in the world, the Humanitarian Country Team agreed to the establishment of an inter-agency accountability mechanism that allows affected populations to directly influence the evolution of humanitarian response in Iraq.
The Iraq IIC is implemented by UNOPS and is funded by a range of partners. Since its launch, the Iraq IIC has handled more than 170,000 calls, giving information to more than 1 milliion individuals. The Iraq IIC’s primary objective is to promote two-way communication between affected populations to:
- Empower communities through the provision of accessible and timely information on how to access humanitarian services and resources required to improve their situation;
- Help ensure efficient and effective coordination of humanitarian actors operating in Iraq by collecting and circulating information about the urgent needs and priorities of affected populations, as well as the information gaps between them and delivering actors;
- Support an environment of transparency and accountability by establishing an easy-to-access and safe mechanism through which critical feedback and complaints can be submitted and referred to humanitarian actors to influence humanitarian programming and shape advocacy.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
UNOPS is seeking Communication and Reporting Officer to support and enhance reporting, communication, and information management structures. The post aims to further strengthen and streamline Iraq IIC’s data collection, data sharing and reporting processes as part of its overall objective to strengthen accountability to affected populations in Iraq. The incumbent reports to the Project Manager, and will work closely with the Information Management Officer, in order to contribute to the overall project objectives.
With the aim of strengthening the quality of communications and reporting services provided by the project as well as the internal capacity of the Iraq IIC, the Communication and Reporting Officer will perform the following duties with transparency and integrity, and in adherence to the humanitarian standards for information management as provided by the Active Learning Network for Accountability and Performance (ALNAP), the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) and the Sphere Handbook, the Communications and Reporting Officer will conduct the following tasks:
Reporting (internal and external)
· Support in the continuous development of the Iraq IIC reporting templates, in particular with the drafting of internal and external reports withing given deadlines;
· Assist in the documentation of key findings in regular analysis of the Iraq IIC’s impact on the response, including operational developments, achievements, constraints, concerns, and request for support, and in the communication of these findings to partners, donors and other stakeholders;
· Gather and report on feedback from partners in a systematic way to facilitate analysis, reporting of impact, procedures on referrals, and support the overall accountability of humanitarian actors to the affected population;
· Contribute to preparation of briefs, talking points, key messaging for discussions with partners in key coordination meetings to discuss data, trends analysis and any identified gaps and/or needs observed.
Communication (internal and external)
· Assist the IIC Information Management Officer, Supervisor and Operators in the implementation of internal and external information structures, policies and standard operating procedures to facilitate, support, and promote data and information sharing within the call centre and the wider humanitarian community;
· Establish and maintain an effective communication strategy for the Iraq IIC, incorporating methods for the comprehensive distribution of visibility materials and outreach efforts as undertaken by the Community Engagement team, as well as ensure digestion of public information products and facilitated presence at key coordination forums;
· Represent the Iraq IIC at different meetings upon request, including but not limited to cluster-level meetings. In addition to design and deliver cluster-specific, and other tailored presentations as required with the support of the Information Management Officer;
· Draft and edit promotional and/or communication materials and strategy to raise the profile of the call centre among affected populations and humanitarian actors (nationally and globally);
· Serve as the Iraq IIC focal point in the Strategic Communications Group and actively promote the project within the inter-agency fora;
· Maintain close interaction with Project team to share information and knowledge as related to project activities and communications;
Other duties as required:
· In collaboration with the Project Manager and Information Management team, update the standard operator procedures, internal guidelines, external communications and reporting as required,
· Communicate with partners to provide guidance on Iraq IIC procedures, and to update the IIC’s tools, including but not limited to: the service directory for humanitarian services, standard messaging on key issues, and referral agreements for the channeling of feedback and complaints,
· Perform any other duties as requested by the Project Manager.
Please visit the online vacancy for more information and to apply:https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=16383
- Masters degree in information management, information technology, engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience. Or University bachelor degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible experience in research and analysis, reporting, external relations, communications, advocacy, and/or outreach including experience at the international level, and/or related field.
- Strong background in data collection, analysis and presentation
- Experience in producing high-quality reports
- At ease making public presentations and liaising with external stakeholders
- Strong experience in usage of Microsoft Office software package (MS Word, Excel especially)
- Knowledge of Accountability to Affected Populations, and Communicating with Communities
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of Arabic and\or Kurdish will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of new data analysis and visualization solutions such as PowerBI and Tableau
- Knowledge of GIS software, both open source and private
- Familiarity with professional-grade design software (e.g. Adobe Creative Suites)
- Web development experience
- Experience working in the humanitarian field, preferably including the Middle East
- Knowledge of current political, economic, and social fabric of Iraq
- Working knowledge of communicating with disaster affected populations and protection response infrastructure
- Application Deadline:05-Oct-2018**
- Please visit the online vacancy to apply:https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=16383
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.