Great stories and compelling content are the lifeblood of UNICEF’s ability to achieve communication, advocacy, and fundraising objectives, at global and national levels. We are looking for a Communication Manager – Content Strategy who can play a lead role in the ongoing implementation of a new Global Content Strategy approach for UNICEF; as well as the development and management of associated partnerships, processes, research, analysis and monitoring.This position sits within the Global Content Strategy (GCS) Section, as part of the Division of Communication and reports directly to the Chief of Global Content Strategy. The position focuses on content strategy and planning, internal partnerships and coordination, content data and analysis, capacity building and knowledge sharing, and monitoring and reporting on content.
You would be a good fit for this role if you have substantive experience in promoting a complex organizationâ€™s stories and brand, but also have a head for strategy and business operations. You should be a big picture thinker and a dot-joiner, but also someone who understands the many interconnected processes that go into the art and science of creating effective content. If youâ€™re an organized thinker who can translate multiple concepts into simple, actionable, data-driven plans and have a deep understanding of content production systems and processes, your super-powers will serve you well. If youâ€™re driven by a passion for positive change, great at building relationships and working across teams, and are comfortable working in a complex, fast-paced environment; and if youâ€™re excited by a challenge, then we want to talk to you.
The Global Content Strategy section develops content strategies, and plans, develops and produces flagship publications, photography and videos for key initiatives and priority campaigns initiatives and priority campaigns. We manage the quality and consistency of communication content as a strategic asset across platforms and facilitate and provide guidance in the development of efficient and effective communication content across the organization. The section’s expertise encompasses strategic content planning, video production, photo curation, writing, editing, fact-checking, proofreading, translation and graphic design, contributing to the achievement of UNICEF’s communication and advocacy in support of child rights.
Purpose of the job:The Communication Manager – Content Strategy is responsible for the successful ongoing roll out and day-to-day support to UNICEF offices in the implementation of a Global Content Strategy approach; for designing and advising on content-related planning and operations, for establishing and maintaining successful partnerships across the organization for coordination of priority content development and optimum use of the organizations content resources; for establishing a capacity building and knowledge sharing function as it relates to content; for developing the section’s content data and analysis function; for strengthening the section’s project management capacity, workflows and processes; and for supporting the sections planning, monitoring and reporting.
How can you make a difference?
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks:
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
Strategy and execution
- Under the close guidance and direction of the Chief of Section, the Communication Manager – Content Strategy will drive and facilitate the day-to-day implementation and iteration of an agile Global Content Strategy for UNICEF, that supports UNICEF offices around the world in producing and effectively utilizing cutting-edge creative content that targets decision makers and the general public, and drives action and change for children.
- The Communication Manager – Content Strategy is responsible establishing and advising on content-related operations to ensure smooth execution of strategy towards effective delivery of creative content.
Partnership and coordination
- Develops partnerships and actively maintains communication with colleagues across the organization – with other divisions in HQ, Regional Offices, Country Offices, and National Committees – to facilitate the implementation of the Global Content Strategy and to advance collaboration in the planning, production, and optimal use of compelling content that drives change at global and national levels.
- Actively partners with teams across the Global Content Strategy Section, the Division of Communication, and UNICEF’s offices across the world to identify and implement new content-related opportunities.
- Engages with UNICEF’s offices across the world to facilitate and coordinate strategic content development that contributes to global and national-level priority campaigns and initiatives.
- Works closely and swiftly in emergency situations with internal stakeholders in DOC, PFP, National committees and Country offices to support and coordinate content strategy for the development of content across channels within a very limited time frame.
Capacity building and knowledge exchange
- The Communication Manager – Content Strategy leads in the implementation of capacity building and knowledge exchange in strategic content planning and development, at global and national levels. Empowering offices in content strategy and the development of cutting-edge content that resonates with relevant audiences and drives action and change for children.
- Provides ongoing support to Country Offices and National Committees in the design and local delivery of effective content strategy, providing normative guidance and facilitating exchange of best practices.
- Seeks and identifies great content examples from UNICEF’s offices across the world and facilitates sharing of these with practitioners across the organization.
- Develops systems and nurtures an enabling environment for the dynamic sharing of content related best practices across the UNICEF network, including regularly organizing learning opportunities for teams in DOC, PFP, and offices across the world.
Data and analysis
- Leads the data and learning function for GCS. Compiles, analyses, and shares content-related research from both internal and external sources to inform the ongoing development and execution of the work of the section, and of content strategy across UNICEF.
- Advises senior manager and content practitioners on latest content-related trends, best practices and benchmarks. Adjusts global content strategy and related guidance as necessary. Serves as focal point for content-related research, with individual or company vendors.
- Responsible for developing content-related metrics and audience insights, and maintaining a library of content-related research, in partnership with relevant sections and divisions.
- Maps and maintains an overview of how content is produced, stored, and used across the organization.
Content operations and governance
- The Communication Manager – Content Strategy supports strengthened project management, and improved coordination of the work of the GCS section, through the iterative optimization of the section’s management tools, processes, and systems.
- Develops appropriate governance structures to support the development of cutting-edge content, including policies, procedures, guideline and coordination mechanisms. Develops and facilitates the implementation of effective and efficient workflows for proactive, integrated content planning and delivery, contributing to priority campaigns and initiatives.
Planning, monitoring and reporting
- Works closely with the Chief of section in ongoing work planning, coordination, and regular review and analysis of the impact of activities, strengthening the results focus of the section’s work, and iterative optimization of the section’s management systems.
- Oversees the design, iterative development, and implementation of a strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation systems that enable increasingly impactful planning, production, and use of communication content.
- Provides technical support in the development of key performance indicators, and their inclusion in relevant planning and monitoring tools. Designs and implements appropriate monitoring and evaluation approaches to report on these.
- Responsible for reporting on the work of the Global Content Strategy section, including the collection and analysis of data, and the consolidation and preparation of monthly, and annual reports related to content strategy.
- Works with the section chief and unit heads to develop, monitor and update the section’s budgets and financial resources.
- As needed, performs duties pertaining to the operational management of the Global Content Strategy section.Impact of ResultsCompelling content is the lifeblood of Change Strategy 3 of UNICEF’s Strategic Plan 2018-2021, mobilizing decision makers and the public in support of children. The organization’s ability to deliver on its mission depends on its ability to consistently produce and employ cutting-edge content that reaches the right audiences at the right times. The Communication Manager – Content Strategy plays a central role in strengthening and maintaining UNICEF’s ability to consistently deliver well targeted, effective, cutting-edge content that contributes directly to the achievement of advocacy, communication, engagement, and fundraising objectives.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education: Advanced university degree or equivalent in Communication, Journalism, the Humanities, Marketing, Business Administrations, Social Sciences or equivalent. *A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree. Experience:• Minimum of eight years (with advanced degree or equivalent) and ten years (with first level degree) of professional work experience in creating actionable audience-centric content in a fast-paced non-profit or commercial environment. • Experience managing the operational sides of campaigns or creative projects.• Advanced skills in strategic planning, developing workflows and processes, and monitoring for results• Advanced skills in building and managing relationships at all levels of an organization. • Skills and experience in managing or leading market research to inform campaign / content creative plans. • Demonstrated high-level competencies in interpersonal communication, teamwork, and drive for results• Hands-on technical expertise in a multi-channel campaign/content environment• Advertising or digital agency experience or in-depth understanding of agency functions a definite advantage. • Evidence of ability to build good customer relationships with stakeholders and influencers. • Excellent organizational skills. • UN experience will be considered an asset.
Language Requirements: Highest level of fluency in written and spoken English is required. Working knowledge of French, Spanish or other UN official language is an asset.For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA)Core competenciesCommunication [III]Working with People [II]Drive for Results [II]The functional competencies required for this post are:Leading and Supervising [ I ]Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ] Relating and Networking [ II ] Persuading and Influencing [ II ] Applying Technical Expertise [ II ] Entrepreneurial Thinking [ II ]
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
How to apply
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following linkhttp://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=531396