deadline:29 Mar 2019
Location Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Start Date Mar – May 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 14 Months
Language Requirements English, Spanish
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
Cuso International aims to grow its constituency base and engage diverse audiences in Canada as well as Latin America and the Caribbean, where our work has become progressively more focused and effective. Through the use of appropriate channels, context and content, we aim to educate about our areas of concern and key development challenges, share learning, successes and best practices, elevate the voices of the communities we serve, as well as invite audiences to act or give. Cuso International also aims to effectively capture and demonstrate the impact and value of both international volunteering and working in inclusive partnerships to eradicate poverty.
As the Communications Advisor, your role will be to support the development and implementation of a short and medium-term country-specific communications strategy for Cuso International’s Country Program Office (CPO) in Honduras, as well as the development of high-quality, enticing and powerful communications materials (e.g. specific print and digital communications materials). We are trying to match the perfect volunteer to the perfect experience, so our start dates can be flexible. It would just depend on the partner organization’s needs.
In this role, you will work closely with the CPO team and other volunteers, under the guidance of the Communications, Information and Resource Development Officer for Latin America and the Caribbean.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Support the elaboration (e.g. by gathering information/photographs and drafting content) of two publications about Cuso International’s work in Latin America and the Caribbean. The later will include case studies, program insights and lessons learned, as well as recommendations for future policy and practice.
- Support the development of graphic designs, photographs, videos, interviews for Cuso International and its local partners.
- Support Cuso International with training for staff, volunteers and local partners in communication and management of technical teams.
- Accomplish any other related tasks that might be necessary for the completion of the volunteer’s mandate, as required by the Communications, Information and Resource Development Officer for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Support Cuso International in drawing lessons learned from its communications initiatives, capitalizing experiences and sharing conclusions.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or a similar discipline
Essential Professional Background:
- 4-5 years of relevant professional experience
- Management of digital camera and audio recorder
- Experience in the realization of audiovisual products
- Strong writing, editing, and communications skills; experience in developing print and digital communications materials
- Willingness and ability to conduct training sessions on effective communications
- Sound knowledge of digital and social media
- Person with creativity, sound judgement and ability to work both independently and in a team
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email, etc.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
HOW TO APPLY: