At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant. Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
Program Delivery (PDEL) – Pact exists to help create a world where those who are poor and marginalized exercise their voice, build their own solutions, and take ownership of their future. The Program Delivery Team, contributes to realizing this purpose by: Forging smart partnerships and treating all people with dignity and respect; Applying organizational policies and regulatory compliance appropriately and consistently; Facilitating team spirit among colleagues and promoting the organization through communications; Influencing decision makers through focused, relevant communications; Continually striving to learn and share knowledge and find small ways to make the workplace more enjoyable for all; Cultivating and harvesting innovation; Contributing to the organization’s ability to think and act strategically at all times; Inspiring and spreading our desired organizational culture across the global enterprise.
Pact Kenya and Somalia Office is implementing the Regional Approaches for Sustainable Conflict Management and Integration (RASMI) project which is funded by the European Union Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF). RASMI works in three strategic cross border conflict systems spanning three countries, Kenya, Ethiopia, and Somalia (the Mandera Triangle). The project adopts a conflict systems-based approach to promote peacebuilding, conflict management, and conflict resolution capacity at the community and cross-border levels. RASMI consortia consists four local partners: Inter-Africa Group (Ethiopia) Mandera Women for Peace and Development (Kenya) NEPED (Kenya) and IDF (Somalia). The RASMI project has three main objectives: a) to increase social capital and cohesion; b) to strengthen peace structures and c) to influence other institutions to be conflict sensitive.
Pact is seeking to engage the services of a reputable media firm to undertake media campaign on COVID-19 and its impact on peace and security. RASMI project is cautious about the interplay between the spread of Corona virus, the economic devastation and the link to conflicts and insecurity in the border areas, and therefore proposes to support the cross-border local government authorities through innovative public outreach messages to help contain the spread of the virus and mitigate it’s long term impact on peace and security. The firm will develop campaign messages to promote the key actions people must follow to protect their health, in line with WHO guidance and focused on handwashing, coughing etiquette, not touching your face, physical distance and staying home if feeling unwell. It will also raise awareness on what COVID-19 is and bust some of the myths and fake news that are currently proliferating. The media campaign will also be used to sensitize the communities on the long-term effect of COVID-19 on peace and security.
A. COVID-19 and Peace Campaigns
- A video campaign comprising of 10 videos on key topics, adapted and translated from materials WHO has shared globally, and those developed by RASMI beneficiaries including, peace messages. The videos will also reflect the innovations being developed by community peace champions to contain the spread of COVID-19 in order to mitigate its impact on peace and security.
- Pictorial/Infographic Posts – Adapt and translate existing infographics from WHO and design and create a few based on local priorities. Some of these can be animated and designed based on the context and discussions with the program team.
- These messages will be shared via social media and other media platforms targeting border communities. All informational videos and pictorial posts should be WhatsApp compatible so that they can be spread more widely.
B. Reporting Measurement
The firm will collect and share social media engagement metrics from all COVID-19 and peace messaging posts from all their social media channels on a weekly basis.
C. Geographic focus areas
The assignment will cover the RASMI project operation areas of Mandera County- Kenya, Dollow, Luuq, Belet-Hawa- Somalia, and Dollow Ado, and Mubarak Woredas of Ethiopia.
SUPERVISION AND QUALITY ASSURANCE
The Consultant will be supervised by the EUTF Team Lead.
PERIOD OF CONSULTANCY
This consultancy will take a total of 3 months.
Assurance of confidentiality
All deliberations relating to this consultancy, including all information collected from various meetings/documents shall be kept confidential and shall not be divulged to any third party either verbally or in writing or in any other form.
Experience and Competencies
The firm should have the following experience and competencies:
- 3-5 years of experience/knowledge of using innovative media campaigns and tools to influence change in fragile contexts. Experience in Somalia, Northern Kenya, and the Somalia region of Ethiopia will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of using digital media and social networking to advance peacebuilding goals especially, in remote and conflict-affected areas.
- Strong experience in working with local communities to generate content for diverse audiences in English, Somalia, Swahili, and Borana languages.
- Ability to present and synthesize complex digital media content into short reports and presentations.
- Working in a multi-cultural environment and the ability to adapt to a fast-changing schedules and context.
LOGISTICS AND PROCEDURES
Pact will not cover transport and accommodation costs related to this assignment if required.
Submit the following documents with the expression of interest for this consultancy:
- Application for the consultancy highlighting your competencies and experience.
- Proposed work plan to perform the consultancy’s assignment (This should include activities, methodologies, costs and time frame)