Position Name: Communications Assistant
Employment Regime: Seconded/Contracted
Post Category: Mission Support – Assistant Level
Ref. number: SOM-073
Department: Mission Support Department/General Services Division/CIS Section
Level: EU CONFIDENTIAL**
Open to Contributing
Third States: No
1. Reporting Line:
The Communications Assistant reports to the Head of CIS Section.
2. Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To install, maintain/repair and monitor the location overlapping VHF radio network based on Motorola MotoTrbo Capacity Plus, Trbonet Watch, SafeDispatch and other digital radio elements, hard- and software as well as included Satellite Tracking capabilities, having a full integration in one main and other distributed Security Operation Centres.
3. General Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To be responsible for the installation, maintenance/repairs of VHF and mobile radio equipment (Motorola MotoTrbo) and associated antennae systems and ancillaries;
· To program radio equipment and repeaters;
· To erect masts and antennae as required;
· To install power supplies and backup power systems;
· To install and maintain satellite systems Iridium and VSAT;
· To install and maintain Electronic Counter Measure (ECM) equipment;
· To ensure that adequate levels of spare parts are available for all equipment;
· To establish the necessary technical liaison and coordination with other international organizations in the mission area;
· To provide advice and training to all end users;
· To produce precise reports concerning communication issues and to recommend improvements for future acquisitions;
· To be responsible for support, repairs and installation of Iridium based satellite phones and terminals;
· To coordinate with consultants, external experts, and outsourced services in support of the development and maintenance of the mission information services and the overall information systems architecture in the locations where you are responsible;
· To undertake any other related tasks as required by the Line Manager.
4. Essential Qualifications and Experience:
· Successful completion of a minimum level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education and/or a professional technical/mechanical trade and/or technical engineering; AND
· A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in Information and Communication Technology support and implementation either in civilian or military environments after having fulfilled the education requirements, thereof a minimum of 1 year of professional experience with the maintenance and support of digital radio systems.
5. Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Professional knowledge in Motorola GP/GM/GR/MTR radio systems;
· Knowledge in Digital radio systems like Motorola Tetra or MotoTrbo;
· Knowledge in satellite technology;
· Excellent level of written and spoken English.
6. Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
· Previous experience in international environment, particular in crisis areas with multi-national and international organizations;
· Good understanding of the political, cultural and security situation of the Region;
· A previous professional experience in Africa;
· Substantial knowledge of the functioning of the EU and in particular CSDP missions;
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations as a team member in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment. Good interpersonal and communication skills;
· Ability to perform under stress and in difficult circumstances;
· Works methodically, accurately and with attention to details as well as to tight deadlines;
· Is used to work on a multitude of activities at the same time and with limited supervision;
· Excellent analytical, research and problem-solving skills;
· Punctuality, commitment to quality, ability to perform under stress, attention to detail, solid work ethics, willingness to work flexible working hours.
7. Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Ability to converse in business terms about organisational technology needs and solutions and in technical terms with IT and communications specialists.
How to apply
1) I. GENERAL CONDITIONS
Citizenship – Citizenship of an EU Member State or of a Contributing Third State.
2) Candidates (contracted) from EU Member States need to apply/register via:
3) For the ESSENTIAL REQUIREMTS, GENERAL CONDITIONS, ESSENTIAL DOCUMENTS AND EQUIPMENT FOR SELECTED CANDIDATES of the position you need to follow this link: https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headquarters-homepage/93187/1-2021-c…