Contract type: 50% employment
Starting date: 1 May 2021 (immediate)
Duration: 8-month contract
Summary of Roles and Responsibilities
The Communications Manager will:
· Work in close collaboration with IsraAID’s international communication expert in Eswatini to advise, adapt and translate messaging to the local culture and language
· Participate in the Ministry of Health’s efforts and working groups managing the planning, monitoring, and implementation of the vaccination communication plan and rollout.
· Plan, organize and implement workshops, capacity building trainings, outreach efforts, and other communications activities to support the vaccination campaign.
· Be a key partner in producing creative vaccination campaign materials and methodologies in partnership with local actors, as necessary.
· Collect data, monitor and report on the progress of the activity plan in accordance to IsraAID’s templates and reporting requirements.
Founded in 2001 as a coalition of Israeli organizations working in disaster relief and international development, IsraAID has grown into an independent NGO and the largest humanitarian aid organization in Israel. From earthquakes and hurricanes to epidemics and forced displacement, IsraAID has been at the forefront of responding to major humanitarian crises worldwide. We have worked in more than 50 countries and at any one time have around 300 staff members worldwide.
During IsraAID’s 2-week exploratory mission in Eswatini, the IsraAID team conducted an
assessment to map and understand the various capacities, actors, assets, and gaps relating to
the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccination. Staff deployed included experts in vaccination
campaigns, public health, operations, psychosocial support, and communications.
Based on these findings, IsraAID will work to collaborate with the MoH and local partners to support the efforts to implement a successful and effective vaccination campaign in the different areas listed above.
Education Information and Communication
· Identify and utilize creative methods of communication and associated messaging to promote the vaccine rollout in collaboration with MOH and other actors
· Support the development of health promotion materials and associated evaluation tools to assess the reach of messaging in communities.
· Support the development of creative mechanisms for communicating with communities to promote active, dynamic, and shifting messaging solutions.
· Draft and develop public health materials such as brochures, leaflets, posters, audio, video, and social media outputs in relation to vaccine rollouts in line with local culture.
· Develop and implement evaluation tools to monitor the impact of this material.
· Support and coordinate the organization and implementation of presentations, trainings, and workshops with and for other leading communications actors on the ground regarding Information, Education and Communication (IEC) strategies to be leveraged in promoting the vaccine rollout.
· Promote, plan, and carry out educational activities, trainings, and workshops for key local leaders (healthcare workers, public authorities, religious leaders, traditional leaders, teachers, etc.) on community engagement and outreach regarding the vaccine.
· Carry out advocacy and communication activities aimed at improving knowledge of relevant health areas, and specifically COVID-19 vaccination, in partnership with medical experts.
· Actively participate in clinical and medical meetings as well as community mental health events/activities as required.
Monitoring and Reporting
· Develop, monitor, collect data and assemble periodic report as required.
· Represent IsraAID and maintain regular contact with authorities and stakeholders at the community level (community leaders, coordinators, social development actors, NGOs, enabling community health centers, schools, etc.); as well as in the local media.
· Work as a member of a multidisciplinary team and ensure a good flow of communication of any relevant information.
· Have a thorough understanding of the mission and regional contexts.
· Raise the profile of IsraAID, its work and country missions through active participation in Interaction forum, and external events when possible.
· Serve as advocate for the country mission
· Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Compliance & Ethics
· Understanding of and commitment to the following principles: cultural sensitivity, local ownership, sustainability, inclusiveness, local partnership, non-discriminatory, do-no-harm, and apolitical approach; codes of conduct against sexual exploitation and abuse; and against child exploitation and modern slavery.
· Commitment to abide by IsraAID’s and the international community´s codes of conduct and principles.
· Commitment to abide by IsraAID’s security policy.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND COMPETENCIES
· At least 2 years of experience in multimedia work and/or communications
· At least 2 years of experience in project coordination or project management.
· Deeply creative, out-of-the-box thinker
· Impeccable cross-cultural awareness and communication abilities
· Fluent in both English and Siswati (written and spoken)
· Community oriented with strong facilitation and outreach skills
· Ability to work independently, exercise judgment and flexibility in a very challenging environment.
· Deep understanding of the Swazi culture, formal and informal structures and networks, and social fabric.
· Demonstrated organizational skills.
· Ability to relate to and partner with international staff effectively.
· Highly reliable, able to consistently meet tight deadlines.
· Commitment to abide by all IsraAID eSwatini security and policy guideline.
· Advantage: experience working in a civil society organization or non-governmental organization.
Based in, Mbabane, eSwatini
Part time position, in accordance with local labor laws.