Organization: African Population and Health Research Center
This role reports to the director of the Policy Engagement and Communications division, and oversees the unit responsible for all internal and external communications; APHRC’s media and social media strategy; our brand and its use; knowledge management products including our website; and a host of creative products from short films to annual reports.
The role requires a strong background in producing, editing and delivering written and multimedia collateral on tight deadlines, with an exceptional ability to multitask. The right candidate will be an outstanding mentor, able to both supervise and delegate with authority, and be a nimble and innovative user of knowledge to drive change. The role also requires the ability to deliver both ad hoc and organized training and technical support in writing, editing, public speaking and presentation, to help highly technical and specialized research professionals improve their ability to effectively reach a variety of lay audiences.
A wide network of media contacts is an asset to the role.
· Serve as institutional editor-in-chief, supporting copy and content editing for a variety of products across six research units as well as for Center-wide promotional and visibility products
· Mentor and guide a team of communications officers
· Lead media outreach including development and implementation of media strategy that includes pitches, field visits and responding to ad hoc media requests
· Direct in-house training on public speaking and presentations for research staff
· Oversee development of visibility products including promotional brochures, website content, newsletters and annual report
· Contribute to development of innovative multimedia products including infographics, short films and animations
Skills and Qualifications:
· Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing or a related field
· At least seven (7) years of post-qualification work experience in communications, writing and content creation, preferably at an international organization
· Excellent editing and writing skills as well as ability to translate complex scientific facts into accessible messages for general audiences
· Visual media skills including use of still and video camera; ability to develop video storyboards and basic editing to a professional standard
· Some knowledge of graphic design and desktop publishing, including Microsoft Publisher, and Adobe or Corel suites
· Experience in using social media channels and extending their reach
· Experience of creating and editing digital media and publishing across a variety of platforms including but not limited to Storify, Prezi, Slideshare and YouTube
· Familiarity with approaches for planning, executing, and monitoring communications strategies
· Excellent existing network of media contacts
· Excellent verbal communication and ability to train and mentor
· Demonstrated willingness to work as part of a team
· Networking, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills coupled with resourcefulness initiative and maturity of judgment
· French language skills highly desirable
How to Apply
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply through our recruitment portal http://hrs.aphrc.org and should include: Portfolio of written work (no more than 5 samples, 3 of which must be published versions) to also include tracked change edits of a pre-publication piece of someone else’s writing and a Cover letter including at least two paragraphs speaking to your motivation for applying for this role, and specific examples of how you have mentored and supervised teams in the past.
Please include one reference of someone who can speak directly to your ability to manage a complex and varied workload. Applications will be considered up to October 05, 2018.