Organization: African Population and Health Research Center
The right candidate to join the Synergy Unit within the Policy Engagement and communications(PEC) division has laser-sharp attention to detail, is an engaging and competent writer, innovative user of new media, videography and social media platforms, and is a disciplined adherent to deadlines. Whether it’s a blog, a press release, a short film or an annual report, the right candidate will use his or her communications skills to support APHRC efforts in bridging the evidence to policy gap, to ensure that our research in population dynamics, health, education, aging and urbanization has maximum impact at the national, sub-regional and global levels.
These positions report to the manager of the Synergy Unit and are based in Nairobi. A portfolio of three samples of written work, one showing tracked changes edits from one version to a second, revised version, must accompany the application. Those applications that do not include writing samples will not be considered. Please ensure that your cover letter includes two paragraphs on your motivation for applying for the position.
- Develop and implement communications strategies for cross-cutting, pan-African research programs
- Generate print and multimedia content to support visibility of programs including blogs, policy briefs, infographics and short films
· Maintain an up-to-date, comprehensive understanding of and familiarity of with the body of APHRC’s research and recommendations, signature issues and policy platforms to be used in development of new collateral for increased cohesion
· Lead on planning for stakeholder convening’s, research uptake events, and related activities
· Conduct trainings in communications and knowledge translation for researchers and stakeholders
· Contribute to resource mobilization efforts
· Manage and inventory repository of knowledge management tools at Center level.
Skills and Qualifications
· Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Policy or related field; Master’s degree desirable but not necessary
- At least four (4) years of post-qualification work experience in communications, writing and content creation, preferably at an international organization
- Excellent editing and writing skills as well as ability to translate complex scientific facts into accessible messages for general audiences
- Visual media skills including use of still and video camera; use of editing software including FinalCut Pro desirable
- Experience in using social media channels and extending their reach
- Experience of creating and editing digital media and publishing across a variety of platforms including but not limited to Storify, Prezi, Slideshare and YouTube
- Familiarity with approaches for planning, executing, and monitoring communications strategies
- Demonstrated interest in some or all of the research topics APHRC touches, and a willingness to work as part of a team
· Networking, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills coupled with resourcefulness initiative and maturity of judgment
Useful additional skills
- Experience in data visualization
- Experience of using email distribution systems such as Mailchimp, ConstantContact, Salesforce, Pure360
- Experience of using a contact database
· Experience of using website CMS.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply and include their letter of application, portfolio of their work and CV, through our recruitment portalhttp://hrs.aphrc.orgby October 05, 2018.No applicant will be considered without all requested materials. We regret that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
The Human Resources Officer
P. O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of children