In Africa Norwegian Red Cross (NorCross) aims to improve the health of vulnerable people and reduce excess morbidity and mortality in contexts affected by conflict and protracted crisis in the Sahel and Horn of Africa.
NorCross will contribute to build capacity of National Societies (NSs) as well as supporting their programs in health in emergency. We aim to support National Societies health care delivery especially where the concerned governments are not able to fulfil the needs – always focusing on synergies together with other community-based programs. Further NorCross aims to improve the regional emergency preparedness, early warning and response systems related to epidemic/ pandemic outbreaks, forced displacement and acute drought.
The purpose of the Community Health Delegate in South Sudan is to ensure development and oversee implementation of NorCross supported community-based health projects. The delegate will also monitor, evaluate, and report on these projects. The delegate will support in ensuring sound technical quality of NorCross supported projects, in line with established technical standards, including NorCross’ own technical standards, and best practice. This should contribute to South Sudan Red Cross’ (SSRC) implementation of quality community-based health projects and improving humanitarian outcomes.
While the line management of the position is in accordance with NorCross Country Office mandates, in view of integration into an ICRC Sub-delegation, the delegate reports to ICRC Head of Sub-delegation on operational and security matters and is fully integrated in the security management of ICRC in selected sub-delegation.
Under the line management of NorCross Country Programme Manager (CPM) in South Sudan, provide technical support aimed at ensuring quality community-based health programmes supported by Norcross, including:
1) Ensure that SSRC’ community-based health projects – including programmatic components of Community-based Surveillance, Sexual and Gender-based Violence and Healthcare in danger, supported by NorCross, in South Sudan are designed, implemented and monitored in line with established technical standards and overall project management (planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting) standards.
2) Contribute proactively with other technical personnel to NorCross global efforts to establish and operationalise technical approaches and standards for community-based health projects (with all above mentioned components), including community engagement and accountability; methodologies and safe access framework (SAF)
3) Assist with the technical capacity strengthening of national society on health-related matters to ensure coherence and technical alignment with other community-based initiatives supported by Movement partners in South Sudan
4) Coordinate with and complement, through development and implementation of community-based health components, the work conducted by ICRC through the Primary Health Care programme.
· Provide technical support to the quality design, including monitoring structures, of existing NorCross supported community-based health projects, and the initiation of new similar project, in line with NorCross strategic documents and technical standards.
· Conducts technical assessments and scoping missions as requested and contributes technically to project development and implementation.
· Ensure timely implementation and quality monitoring of NorCross supported community health projects through structured and regular monitoring, field visits, follow up and reporting on them.
· Provides continuous follow up of technical input, support, and guidance to the relevant counterparts to implement activities with high quality standard.
· Provide technical input to NorCross Country Programme Manager (CPM) for project report purposes as per NorCross partnership calendar.
· Support the design, implementation, and analysis of base- and end-line studies, and the application of the qualitative and quantitative data in the planning, evaluation and reporting of the projects.
· Advises NorCross country team and SSRC on evidence-based interaction with community members and groups on issues related to diagnostic screenings, sanitation or hygiene, self-care, risk or prevention of conditions and issues related to improving general health.
· Advices NorCross country team and SSRC on best practices on building relationships with community members; including home visits for pregnant women, new-born infants, or other high-risk individuals to monitor their progress or assess their needs, and how to retain contact with clients/beneficiaries in person, by phone, or in writing to ensure they have completed required or recommended actions.
· Provide technical support to NorCross organizational response in case of emergency health responses /viral diseases outbreaks in country and in region (based on request from Deputy Regional Representative).
· Provide technical input to CPM that enables conveying the purposes and services of community health projects to back donors and other stakeholders, including the humanitarian outcomes that the projects contribute to.
· Support the SSRC to plan for future projects, review and provide input to reports, analyse trends and suggest project adjustments.
We seek a person who;
· is a self-starter, makes things happen and is result oriented.
· develops people through delegation, empowerment, and coaching; promotes career and self-development.
· collaborates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals.
· creates a stable and re-assuring work atmosphere; supports and encourages team in difficult times; is firm and reliable.
· Master’s degree in public health is preferred.
Skills and knowledge:
· In-depth understanding of relevant technical standards and the operationalization of technical standards in humanitarian projects.
· Strong experience from designing, implementing, and managing community health projects in humanitarian settings
· Proven strong experience from project management, including needs assessments, base and end lines, project design, and reporting.
· Skills related to building technical capacities of partner organizations.
· Advanced understanding of the use of innovative tools and approaches in relevant technical discipline, is an asset.
· Fluency in English. Working proficiency of regional languages is an asset.
· International driving license (manual gear) is required.
Norwegian Red Cross Country Programme Manager South Sudan and ICRC Head of Sub-delegation.
Position is based in:
Bentiu, South Sudan. The position is not a family post.
12 months’ contract, with possibility for extension.
Application deadline: 09.09.2020
How to apply
Please apply through our electronic application portal
For questions regarding the position please contact: NorCross Country Programme Manager Daudi Mlimilwa email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why should you apply?
Meaningful: Youll be a part of the world’s largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated, and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross strive to build a working culture based on respect, honesty, and generosity. We follow the seven fundamental principles: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality
We do a thorough background check of relevant candidate.