Organization: Relief International
Position: Compliance Manager
Location: Either Washington DC office or London with some travel to field locations as warranted
Duration: Full Time
Reports to: CFO
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Responsible for monitoring compliance efforts for GSO and field finance. Works closely with the Grants Compliance Unit and Global Assurance to understand and review compliance with grant and financial procedures including ensuring that adequate documentation exists, that finance manual procedures are followed, and that financial internal controls are monitored and in place.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Coordinate with Grant Compliance Unit and Global Assurance to ensure that there is no duplication/overlap of work and to coordinate reviews to sensibly divide workload based upon capabilities.
- Travel to the field offices as required to review compliance with various finance and grant/donor requirements either at inception or closeout of projects or in an interim review capacity.
- Work with Regional Finance managers and the CFO on special compliance reviews and special projects as required.
Qualifications & requirements:
- Experience with auditing procurement and other documents and highlighting exceptions or questionable adherence to documentation standards. Knowledge of grant compliance standards helpful but not required.
- Position also requires judgment on how to assess compliance with documentation requirements and standards.
- Master’s degree in accounting or finance, or Bachelor’s degree with commensurate work experience;
- Minimum of five years professional experience in audit or compliance work in either non-profit or for profit organizations with for profit Sarbanes Oxley experience acceptable.
- Solid background and knowledge of USAID, ECHO, EU and DfID Rules and Regulations a plus;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Strong English skills, speaking, reading, writing are required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills. Ability to think critically and creatively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues. Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
Relief International’s Values:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation
If you are interested in this position, please apply at: