Action Africa Help International (AAH-I), is an international non-profit making agency that implements humanitarian relief, recovery and development projects in Africa. AAH-I seeks a qualified candidate for the position of Construction Manager. He/ She will work under the overall leadership of the Area Coordinator.
The Construction Manager will be managing and implementing construction of project activities with particular emphasis on Airstrip and Road projects within Maban Area of Operations.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Produce designs, prepare bill of quantities and materials schedules for the road/airstrip construction activities.
· Assess, implement and monitor road/airstrip construction works in the identified locations and communities
· Supervise the construction sector in accordance with the national labour laws, and the UNHCR rules and regulations
· Assist the Construction manager/Area coordinator in the preparation of budgets
· Prepare weekly inputs to progress/implementation reports
· Supervise and guide the road/airstrip construction contractors and staff team.
· Contract and supervise contractors/sub-contractors.
· Support the construction manager in the tendering process,
· Keep close contact with the construction persons of UNHCR and AAH-I
· Represent the sector in the project towards the clients, other partners, local government administrations and visiting missions.
· Control and ensure that the standard construction procedures and tools are utilized properly
· Monitor activities by using standard monitoring tools to measure regularly (minimum monthly) the project construction performance
· Evaluate on a regular basis the quality and performance by utilizing the standard grid
· Take appropriate action to improve the construction performance in accordance with expected result and available means
· Consult external support and expertise if required under the approval of the Area Coordinator.
· Provide advice and solutions to improve the performance of the construction activities and contribute to the achievement of set goals.
- Produce and submit to the management periodic activity reports and work plans, a standard construction monitoring report including the relevant analysis
- Produce analysis, documents and reports upon the request of management or partner
- Inform immediately management of any facts that can have serious impact on the construction activities
- Establish permanent working relations/coordination with other actors within the camps and state on construction components
- In liaison with the construction manager, being a representative of the project for the airstrip/road construction component towards UNHCR, other partners, local government administration and visiting missions.
· Airstrip/Road Construction projects executed according to standard construction guidelines
· Road/Airstrip Construction management operations executed according to organizational vision, mission, core values and policy guidelines.
· Utilizing standard monitoring tools and systems in road construction operations
· Reporting according to standard reporting formats.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil & structural engineering.
- Registered Graduate Engineer or Eligibility of Registration in any Engineering body.
- Five years in road/airport/airstrip construction projects in design office, field supervision and contract administration.
Skills & Competences
· Good Communicational skills (written and spoken)
· Good Organizational and managerial skills
· ICT specialty (email, spread-sheets, word, databases, job-related software, etc)
Please send your cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meets the Person Specification along with your CV, academic certificates and national ID to HR AAH-I/ UNHCR Logistics Base, Juba through firstname.lastname@example.org or Submit your hard copy application to AAH-I/ UNCHR Logistic Base near JIT Supermarket before 27th June, 2019.