The Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC),established in 1986, is an intergovernmental organization and a regional resource center committed to reducing the impact of disasters and climate change on communities and countries in Asia and the Pacific by raising awareness, strengthening the sustainable institutional network, enhancing knowledge and skills, and facilitating the exchange of information, experience and expertise through training, technical assistance, research, networking, partnership, and regional programs.
With ADPC’s vision to a safer community and sustainable development through disaster risk reduction, ADPC will support Thailand’s disaster risk management communities to be more resilient. The Thai Network for Disaster Resilience (TNDR), was formed with partnerships between academic and research institutions, and government agencies. The TNDR has submitted the request financial support to ADPC in establishing the Disaster Data and Knowledge Center and maintain the center with proper plan and guideline. The TNDR aimed to create a community of practice on disaster-related science and research that supports real-world disaster risk management as well as to create a disaster data hub for Thailand. Currently, the TNDR has a membership of more than 90 experts across Thailand.
The Disaster Data and Knowledge Center has been established at Chulalongkorn University under the TNDR initiative. It will contribute to the development of disaster risk reduction approaches in this region and strengthening the linkage among multidisciplinary knowledge areas for disaster risk management as well as providing data and information of relevance on disaster situations to its members, partnered government agencies, and the public.
ADPC, with Thailand as the host country, envisions the needs in Thailand for disaster risk management practitioners to have access to data and knowledge that will in turn help decision-makers to make risk-informed decisions more effectively and timely, based on scientific evidence. ADPC expects that success in Thailand can contribute to the effectiveness of disaster management in the country and can be replicated in other countries in Asia and the Pacific. This initiative could also be scaled up to support regional cooperation in disaster risk management.
Scope of Services
ADPC is currently looking for a suitable candidate for the position ofConsultancy to support the operation of the Disaster Data and Knowledge Center.** The consultant will focus on supporting the Disaster Data and Knowledge Center at Chulalongkorn University through the development of an operational manual for the center as well as conduct research and establish an expert database to be used in the future. He/ She would deliver the following outputs to achieve the program implementation;
- A document listing names of experts, organizations, data, and knowledge products to be stored in and be disseminated through the disaster data and knowledge center
- An operational manual for the Disaster Data and Knowledge Center
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research and develop (R&D) the Disaster Data and Knowledge Center at Chulalongkorn University.
- Integrate data and information services to support R&D knowledge on Disaster Risk Management.
- Research and develop knowledge on disaster risk management.
- Develop the disaster risk management expert database to be used in the future.
- Establish and maintain the Disaster Data and Knowledge Center at Chulalongkorn University.
- Facilitate communication and coordination between ADPC and Thai Network for Disaster Resilience and other relevant agencies and partner.
- Lead the approach for achieving the establishment and maintenance of the Disaster Data and knowledge Center at Chulalongkorn University.
- Provide inputs and lead implementation of the research and development activities to manage the database and knowledge on disaster risk management.
- He/ She would deliver the following outputs to achieve the program implementation;
- A document listing names of experts, organizations, data, and knowledge products to be stored in and be disseminated through the disaster data and knowledge center.
- An operational manual for the Disaster Data and Knowledge Center .
Required Qualifications and Specification:
- PhD or Master’s Degree in Research Science, Applied Statistic, Natural Resource Management, Disaster Management, Land Use Planning, Environmental Engineering, or other related fields
- At least 10 years of work experience in Research or Disaster Management field
- Proficient in the database and knowledge management
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Familiarity with the context of disaster risk reduction and knowledge management
- Experience with both qualitative and quantitative data analysis and reporting
- Self-motivated and team-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize work efficiently and effectively with minimum supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team-oriented work style, and experience working in a multi-cultural environment
- Strong desire to learn and undertake new challenges
- Must be a creative problem-solver, self-confident and willing to work for extended hours or days if necessary
- Strong networking skills
- Proficiency and communication skills in several national languages
Technical Direction / Supervisor:
- Reports directly to the committee of Thai Network for Disaster Resilience
- Works closely with Thai Network for Disaster Resilience and ADPC staffs
Period of Engagement:
This agreement commences on 20thof May 2020 and will be in effect until 30thof August 2020.**
Status and Location of Services:
He/ She can work at his/ her home or office but must report himself/ herself when requested.
How to apply
Interested applicants/firms may submit their completed ADPC application form to firstname.lastname@example.org on the 18thof May 2020. Any queries or clarifications related to this consultant work should be sent to Bill Ho