UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a connected world
The overarching strategic goal of UNICEF’s ICT Division (ICTD) is to transform and build partnerships with our stakeholders to successfully implement UNICEF programmes globally through the use of innovative technology-enabled solutions.
UNICEF’s Information and Communication Division (ICTD)’s recently-established Field Solutions Unit is a team of experienced software developers, data scientists, and designers within ICTD’s Solutions Centre and Support.
The Unit’s goals are to establish enterprise support to innovative open-source tools used by field-based programmatic experts, planning specialists, partnership managers, and implementing partners around the world.They work with counterparts throughout the organization to tailor open-source software solutions that magnify UNICEF’s impact by driving better decision-making, promoting collaboration, and realizing organizational efficiencies with modern digital tools.
How can you make a difference?
RapidPro is a globally supported mobile engagement platform used by dozens of UNICEF country offices to magnify and monitor programmatic impact for children—and is the technology platform that powers UNICEF’s U-Report programme. With the strong uptake of RapidPro and related apps, the Field Solutions Unit seeks to realize more value from these systems by unlocking insights from data generated and captured by these systems. The Field Solutions Unit seeks a Data Analyst to create, edit, and maintain scripts, configurations, and visualizations to drive better practices, decision-making, and more effective use of RapidPro and related T4D technologies in order to:
- Accelerate adoption ofdata-driven decision-makingpractices by programme officers to achieve results for children more quickly and more efficiently;
- Provideoperational insightsto programme managers, section chiefs, and country management teams to allow managers to better prioritize their attention/efforts, identify problematic partners, highlight data gaps, improve staff accountability, and to respond more effectively to changing contexts;
- Enableadaptive managementof programmatic interventions, projects, pilots, and innovations for continuous improvement, course-corrections, risk mitigation, and feedback loops;
- Enable data exploration and discovery, anomaly detection, identification of correlations across disparate data sets, and discovery of new tracer indicators todeveloppredictive analyticcapabilitieswithin the organization;
- Realize greater value from existing data setsby contextualizing with other public, institutional, or otherwise-accessible data sets related to the data’s programmatic context.
The T4D Data Analyst will liaise with colleagues throughout the organization to identify opportunities and needs for improved data analysis. The T4D Data Analyst may be required to attend meetings, conferences, and other events, as well as attend meetings with colleagues based in the field.
- Generation of metrics, charts and analysis around relevant issues such as usage patterns, growth & reach, social engagement, gender differences, campaign dynamics, etc.
- Collaboration with database administrators and software developers to implement any data transformations and enrichment to ensure data sets are easy to explore;
- Configuration of charts and dashboards in business intelligence tools (Superset, PowerBI);
- Identification of data driven stories and insights that can help better communicate and understand regional and global trends related to real-time monitoring and youth engagement T4D initiatives.
Required skills and experience:
- Two to five years of professional experience as a data analyst or business analyst.
- Experience configuring dashboards in business intelligence tools.
- Experience designing data visualizations and/or reports for decision making by senior managers.
- Experience creating or contributing to beautiful, clear and compelling graphs.
- Attention to detail, research skills and the ability to work under strict deadlines is a must.
- Education/work experience in engineering/technical fields is a major plus.
- Experience with data visualization and business intelligence tools, such as Apache Superset and/or Microsoft PowerBI.
- Familiarity with UNICEF organizational structure.
- Familiarity with UNICEF results and reporting structures.
- Comfortable coordinating between multiple remote teams and stakeholders.
- Superior writing skills.
- Superior command of the English language.
- Experience working with software product development teams.
- Experience with processing and synthesizing large amount of information.
- Ability to work in a team and in a diverse work environment.
This consultancy will be on-site (New York Headquarters) for a period of 6 months.
Each applicant will be evaluated based on the cumulative analysis methodology (weighted scoring method), where the award of the contract will be made to the individual consultant or vendor whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable; and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of technical skills and financialproposal specific to the solicitation.
Technical Criteria weight: [70%]
Financial Criteria weight:[30%].
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Due to the high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following linkhttp://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=519430