Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher-Education (MOECHE)
Terms of Reference for Consultant – Review and Update of Primary School Textbooks Content for Grade 1 to 8 **
A. General Information
Consultant- Review and Update of Primary School Textbooks Content for Grade 1 to 8
Director of Curriculum Development/Quality Assurance Department and Quality Assurance Advisor
GPE MCA Program
Individual Consultant, National only
1. Background and Context
In 2017, the Somali national curriculum framework was endorsed and followed by the development of syllabi for all subjects and grades by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MOECHE) of the Federal Government of Somalia. From this, the MOECHE’s department of curriculum and Quality assurance with support from a private company developed grade 1 to 8 prototype textbooks for each subject. The prototypes were piloted in both government and private schools. Following from that, the grade 1 to 8 textbooks underwent a rigorous process involving subject specialists, internal and external writers, subject review panels, external proof-readers and a final evaluation committee.
The GPE funded programs in Somalia supported the purchase and distribution of 1,666,995 Grade 1 to 8 textbooks and 102,000 copies of the associated teacher guides to more than 1,000 schools across the country reaching more than 300,000 children. This support was intended to contribute to the implementation of the new curriculum and at the same time ensure consistent availability of teaching and learning materials linked to the new national curriculum thus improving the quality of education and children’s learning outcomes. It has also increased student’s contacts with learning materials.
Following the wide spread implementation of the national curriculum for nearly three years now, the MOECHE’s department of curriculum and quality assurance intends to conduct a thorough external review of the grade 1 to 8 textbooks content in a bid to improve the available student learning materials, strengthen the delivery of the national curriculum at the classroom level; leading to improved children’s learning outcomes.
Therefore, the federal Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education (MOECHE) is seeking a competent, qualified and experienced consultant to support MOECHE’ department of curriculum and quality assurance in carrying out the external review process. The consultant will work with technical assistants drawn from the department of curriculum and quality assurance.
2. Objective of the assignment
The objective of this consultancy includes facilitation of stakeholder consultations on curriculum implementation, review of primary school grade 1 to 8 textbook content and to implement changes recommended if any. The consultant, together with, the technical assistants will be responsible to carry out the assignment.
3. Specific tasks and Responsibilities
The consultant, together with, technical assistants should consider the purpose of assignment and gather initial information at the onset of the process. The following are main tasks;
· Conduct stakeholder consultation workshops at FMS and Banadir region. Teachers and students’ feedback on curriculum implementation at classroom level will be crucial and inform the basis for review.
· Extensive review of primary school textbooks grade 1 to 8 content. The primary school textbooks content comprises six subjects for grade 1 to 2; seven subjects for grade 3 to 4; and eight subjects for grade 5 to 8.
· Prepare and present report with findings, feedback and recommendations to make any modification and improvement if any.
· Spearhead and implement the actual changes on the primary school textbook grade 1 to 8 content as per the findings and recommendation.
· Submit detailed review report and feedback results.
4. Key Outputs/Deliverables
i. Submit a timeline for the deliverables/outputs, not exceeding 2 months.
ii. Conduct a consultation workshops at all FMS and Banadir region on the implementation of curriculum.
iii. Produce a comprehensive report from the consultation workshops.
iv. Conduct review of grade 1 to 8 textbooks content.
v. Produce a report with findings, feedback and recommendations for modification.
vi. Implement the changes and update the grade 1 to 8 textbooks content.
vii. Submit a final comprehensive report documenting the whole conducted assignment including but report from consultations, content review and actual changes made in the content.
5. Essential and Desirable Experience/Qualifications/Specialised knowledge
· At least 10 years of progressively responsible professional work experience in education, curriculum and teacher training, with proven experience developing curriculum materials.
· Excellent written and visual communication skills including ability to present complex processes and issues clearly to a heterogeneous audience and in an actionable manner.
· Demonstrated experience of leading curriculum development and curriculum review processes.
· Knowledge of governance framework and issues in the Somali context.
· Preferably fluency in English and Somali.
· Excellent facilitation skills
· Advanced university degree in education or a related field.
· Availability at the preferred time/during available time window
· Acceptability to all key stakeholders
6. Lines of Communication
The consultant will be reporting to:
· The Director of Curriculum and Quality Assurance and the Quality Assurance technical advisor with technical oversight of the GPE program coordinator for the deliverables.
Duration and timeframe
The duration of the assignment will be a total of 58 days, from the date of contract signing.
How to apply
How to Submit the Proposals
A Reputable consultant who has the required experience in curriculum textbooks review (various subjects) can submit their expression of interests.
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements must submit the following;
- A technical proposal (Max. 20 pages) including;
o Proposed methodology & approach
o Work plan including the activity schedule with the total number of days and earliest date of availability to undertake assignment
o Updated CV of the consultant
o Evidence for similar previous work done (Contracts or Recommendation letters)
o Telephone & email contacts of at least three (3) professional referees
- A financial proposal (quoted in USD) for the whole assignment. Professional fee must be quoted as a daily rate.
NB: The Ministry will arrange technical assistants to work with the Consultant.
All interested consultants should submit their Technical and Financial Proposals via email to the following Ministry’s procurement email address email@example.com before 05th of December 2020 with the subject of the email as ‘Consultant- Review and Update of Primary School Textbooks Content for Grade 1 to 8”.**