Organization: International Organization for Migration
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
IOM currently is looking for the following position :
Position Title : The Institutional Expert Consultant
(Assessment of the priority sectors and occupations for the application of guiding principles)
Reference No.: CFCV/ID10/2019/027
Duty Station : Home base
Organizational Unit : Counter Trafficking/ Labour Migration Unit
Type of appointment : Consultancy
Contract Period : Consultancy contract, 2 (two) months
Report to : National Programme Officer (NPO)
Start date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 31 March 2019
- Nature of the consultancy & IOM Project to which the Consultancy is contributing:
The IOM is implementing a project titled “Strengthening the Quality Assurance and Competency Certification System through the application of ASEAN Guiding Principle Assurance and Recognition of Competency Certification System within ASEAN Economies”. The project was led by the Indonesian Professional Certification Authority (Badan Nasional Sertifikasi Profesi – BNSP) in collaboration with the International Organization for Migration (IOM) with funding from the Japan-ASEAN Integration Fund (JAIF). The main objective of the project is AMS’s national frameworks increasingly aligned with the ASEAN Guiding Principles.
To respond to the problem faced by ASEAN member states (AMS) in recognizing workers’ competences and skills, on 15 May 2016, ASEAN Labour Ministers Meeting (ALMM) in Vientiane, Lao PDR adopted the ASEAN Guiding Principles for Quality Assurance and Recognition of Competency Certification Systems (hereinafter Guiding Principles). This achievement was as a result of a number of processes initiated under a recently implemented project “The Development of Cross National Guidelines for HR Qualification and Skills Recognition among ASEAN Economies“, under the Working Group of Progressive Labour Practices to Enhance of Competitiveness of ASEAN ). From among the recommendations gathered during the project, a key one was that to ensure wider application of the Guiding Principles it would be necessary to conduct a pilot project on occupations or sectors in industry domains recognized in the AMS region. AMS need to agree on occupations or sectors to choose as pilot sectors to start the recognition process – the pilot project can be developed through trilateral approaches. The Guiding Principles will be piloted in 3 (three) ASEAN Member States (AMS), notably Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines. The result of the pilot project will be shared to other AMS for further development.
The key recommendations from previous engagement mentioned above are proposed to be delivered within a proposed project hereby known as Strengthening the Quality Assurance and Competency Certification Systems through the Application of ASEAN Guiding Principles for Quality Assurance and Recognition of Competency Certification Systems within ASEAN Economies. The main objective of the proposed project is AMS’s national frameworks increasingly aligned with the ASEAN Guiding Principles. The proposed project will help achieved the following: (1) increased awareness of relevant governments and businesses on the adopted Guiding Principles; (2) Three selected countries voluntarily tested out the applicability of the ASEAN Guiding Principles for Quality Assurance and Recognition of Competency Certification Systems into their country system; (3) AMS have improved ability to support the implementation of the Guiding Principles into their country system.
In order to implement the ASEAN Guiding Principles, there are some follow up action needs to be done within the ASEAN Member States, such as dissemination, capacity building and pilot project implementation
- Tasks to be performed under this contract:
The International Consultant will responsible to conduct desk review and field research to map out the priority sectors and occupations for the application of Guiding Principles in three selected countries, and to assess the current situation of skills development systems, in particular, its curricula, trainers, assessors, and its partnership with the private sector. The field research will comprise of key informant interviews in the three countries and the review will also look at other initiatives such as the ILO ASEAN Triangle. In addition, the consultant also expected to conduct the Monitoring and Evaluation on the implementation of Guiding principles in the selected countries. The International consultant will be supported by local consultant.
In general, the consultant is expected to perform following responsibilities, but not limited to:
a) Conduct desk review on priority sectors and occupation for the application of Guiding principles.
b) Conduct field research including key informant interview in Indonesia
c) Conduct field research including key informant interview in Philippines
d) Conduct field research including key informant interview in Malaysia
e) Asses current skill development in three piloting countries
f) Finalize the report draft on the priority sectors and occupations for the application of Guiding principle.
- Duration of works and timetable:
The duration of works will be 2 (two) months, starting on April – May 2019
Scope of Consultancy
– Conduct Desk Review : 1st week of April 2019
– Conduct Field Research in Indonesia : 2nd week of April 2019
– Conduct Field Research in Philippines : 4th week of April 2019
– Conduct Field Research in Malaysia : 1st week of May 2019
– Asses the current skill development : 1st week of April 2019 to 1st week of May 2019
– Submit the first draft of the report : 2nd week of May 2019
– Submit final draft of the report : 4th of May 2019
- Tangible and measurable outputs:
The products expected to be delivered by the consultant will be as follows:
• First draft report on the assessment of the priority sectors and occupations for the application of Guiding Principles in three selected countries
• Final report on the assessment of the priority sectors and occupations for the application of Guiding Principles in three selected countries
- Performance indicator for evaluation of results
Output quality and detailed work in compliance with targeted delivery schedule
- Remuneration and Terms of Payment
The Institutional Expert will receive an all inclusive fee, International airfare and daily allowance during the follow-up of trilateral workshop in Malaysia and Manila. This fee shall be final and not subject to revision. This fee shall be paid to the bank account indicated by the consultant in the following installment:
• First payment: 10% upon signing of contract.
• Second payment: 40% after submitting the first draft of assessment report
• Final payment: 50% upon submission final draft of assessment report
- Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience required:
Minimum of Bachelor Degree in Relevant fields (Project Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Social Sciences, or related studies or equivalent qualification in training/education) with minimum 10 years of professional experience in the relevant fields, or
Masters degree in related field (HR Management, Project Management or Public Management) with minimum experience of 5 years professional experience in relevant fields.
b. Work Experience
• Extensive working experience in technical level official from labor ministry or other relevant Indonesian Government agency will be an advantage.
• Has work experience in project implementation, donor liaison, operations, administration, or related functions in human resources development field
• Has experience in advisory role as a board member in a related government body at national level
• Extensive working experience in dealing with ASEAN Qualification Reference Framework (AQRF) will be a distinct advantage
• Experience in projects implementation, monitoring and evaluation of any other project in ASEAN level or similar developing countries is highly desirable
• Familiar with Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRA) specially within ASEAN context
• Past experience in monitoring and evaluation of the project is an advantage
• Excellent command of both oral and written English
d. Key Competencies
• Good communication (verbal and written) and strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
• Have excellent analytical, and writing skills
• Be results oriented and able to meet strict timelines for outputs
• Adequate project monitoring and evaluation skills as well as the ability to coordinate the activities with related stakeholders
e. Language: Excellent command of both oral and written English
- General Information
• Before commencing work, the Consultant will be required to submit a statement of good health signed by a certified medical doctor and private medical insurance
• IOM only covers the Consultant against occupational accidents and illnesses under the Compensation Plan (CP), free of charge, for the duration of the assignment. IOM does not provide evacuation or medical insurance for reasons related to non-occupational accidents and illnesses. The Consultant is responsible for his/her own medical insurance for non-occupational accident or The Consultant will work independently to meet the deliverables and/or as agreed upon between IOM and the Consultant.
Interested applicants must submit :
- A letter of interest (1 page max.), clearly specify suitability and availability date,
- Detailed Curriculum vitae. Applicants should clearly indicate information on previous relevant experiences, including historical consultancy fee and minimum three referees (preferably former direct supervisors).
- Sample of the publication and or research from previous assignment.
Please submit your application by email to email@example.com, indicating the reference code above (CFCV/ID10/2019/027) as subject. The deadline for applications is 31 March 2019.
Only applicant who meets the above qualification will be considered