Mapping of UN bodies to establish the best way forward for fundraising and engagement for ActionAid.
Approximately 7-10 working days
Use your extensive experience and contacts within the UN to outline which agencies align to our international strategy and our human rights-based approach as well as which UN bodies have global strategic partnerships with INGOs. You will provide recommendations on which of these bodies we should prioritise building a strategic funding and engagement relationship with.
This mapping will include but is not limited to: UN Women (including the UN Trust Fund to end Violence Against Women and the UN Fund for Gender equality), UNDP, UNICEF, UNDEF, UNFPA, ILO and UNDEF. Mapping can include other bodies if you deem them relevant to the work of ActionAid.
You will collaborate with designated staff from ActionAid International and key country offices from around the Federation to conduct a short light-touch internal mapping to establish spaces of existing engagement/opportunities
External donor trends and mapping:
• A short donor funding trends analysis, identifying key shifts
• Map which UN bodies and their underlying departments and funding mechanism align to ActionAid’s strategic programmatic priorities as described in ActionAid’s international strategy.
• Outline the funding mechanisms attached to each of those UN bodies, whether they are centrally managed (at Head office), regional or fully decentralized and managed in individual countries. Are there budgets centralized or decentralized? What is the size of the opportunities?
• Assess what policy forums/ engagement exist for policy influence that can connect to funding.
• Assess which funding opportunities ActionAid should prioritise and whether engagement and relationship building should be a global, regional or national level. Provide recommendations on which UN bodies it would be beneficial to have strategic New York level engagement and whether this should be targeted on the particular funding mechanisms or more generally with the specified UN body.
• Advice on building an ActionAid strategic donor engagement plan as part of the recommendations above.
• A short summary of recommendations on potential resourcing needs to support UN donor engagement
You will have:
• Have extensive knowledge of UN systems including funding instruments, preferably having worked with UN Women, UNDP or UNICEF previously.
• Have extensive contacts and key informants at head office level with key UN bodies to inform the mapping.
• Have experience working with INGOs and understand their needs.
• Preferably undertaken similar mapping exercises previously.
• Excellent reporting skills in English.
Please email your application by Thursday 1st November 2018 to:
An up-to-date CV and proposal with the following components:
• Clearly describing how you meet the consultant profile
• Previous experience with the UN
• Proposed outline of how you plan to conduct the mapping and present it.
• A budget
• Contactable references