Organization: Adventist Development and Relief Agency International
Closing date: 17 Sep 2018
REQUEST FOR CONSULTANT
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) Somalia is an International Non-Governmental Organization registered in Kenya and operating in Somalia. ADRA Somalia is seeking services of a Consultant Water Quality, Testing and Analysis
To realize the said objective and the Somalia National Development Plan which emphasizes increased provision of equitable, accessible, safe and affordable WASH services (including water supply), the program desires to put measures that will safeguard public safety by ensuring that water supply services meet the required minimum guidelines and standards.
For this purpose, ADRA is seeking a consultancy to provide technical assistance for the successful implementation of water quality testing and surveillance. ADRA is therefore seeking a qualified professional (consultant) to train Ministry of Water Officers and some key selected persons (6 – 10 persons) through basic water quality testing and quality surveillance. The consultant should be able to take the team through the testing for physical, chemical and biological parameters and comparison with acceptable (WHO) or other relevant guideline standards.
Objective(s) of the consultancy
At the end of this exercise, the trained team should be able to carry out water quality testing and analysis for common physical, chemical and biological parameters monitored for water quality.
ADRA will provide an appropriate water quality testing kit (Delagua or other appropriate portable water testing lab). The methodology for sampling, transportation, storage, testing, analysis and reporting will be prepared by the Consultant. A work plan not exceeding 5 days of training but covering all the basic / common relevant physical, chemical and biological parameters for water quality analysis will also be developed by the consultant. There are several wells (located in different environments in Kismayo) from which samples can be collected for this purpose.
In the framing out of the approach for this task, the consultant should consider the following:
- Familiarizing the team with the water quality testing kit / potable lab components.
- Sampling conducted using acceptable equipment and methodology (sampling/ water testing/ analysis) consumables keeping in view the sampling requirements. Important emphasis on collection, packaging, transporting and storage of samples.
- Water quality testing/analysis of physical, chemical and biological parameters. Use of standard equipment and consumables for water testing.
- Analysis and reporting of the results. Observance of appropriate guidelines and standards.
Expected results: (measurable results)
It is expected that the Water Quality Consultant will guide the team by providing technical support in water quality testing and analysis and that the trainees would be able to would be able to carry out such tests and analyses on their own after this technical support. Other deliverables include:
· Simple guidelines and procedures on measurement of each parameter;
· Simple data entry / recording tools at all stages of the process;
· Reporting tool with a summarized analysis of the parameters (water quality).
· A short report of the entire exercise about the training.
The consultancy will last for a period of 10 days, with 2 travel days in and out of Somalia and 5 days of fieldwork and hands-on practical training sessions while the remaining days will be for preparation of training materials, the required tools and reporting. The Consultant should be ready to travel any time before end of September 2018.
· A suitable consultant must have experience in relevant field of water quality testing and a proven track record of water sampling, testing and analysis.
· Ultimate knowledge of Standards for Drinking Water Quality and WHO standards and experience in the delivery of training courses and knowledge working with Ministries responsible for water service delivery and/or regulation will be given preference.