Background Information – Job-specific
ReliefWeb is a humanitarian information website, operated by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). Its mandate is to strengthen the response capacity of the humanitarian relief community through the timely dissemination of reliable information on response, preparedness and disaster prevention.
ReliefWeb is seeking multiple individual contractors experienced in humanitarian information management, digital content management, and marketing/client relations in order to assist in managing the digital property’s content and editorial curation. Specifically, ReliefWeb is looking for (a) full-time home-based contractor(s) able to work during standard office hours in either Indochina (GMT+7)orNew York (GMT-4)orEast Africa/Europe (GMT+3) time zones. The contractors are expected to provide service for aminimum of 25 hours per week andup to six days per week including Saturdays and/or Sundays, and/or major holidays, if needed.
It isimportant that you indicate your time zone in the cover letter.
Under the direct supervision of the local ReliefWeb Editors and the overall guidance of the Chief Editor based in New York, the contractor is expected to provide content coverage, drawing on a) a good understanding of web content management systems, principles of information management and familiarity with the information needs of the humanitarian community; and b) specialised language skills, regional and/or thematic experience for improved content handling. Specific tasks require the contractor to:
Provide content management support, including:
● Identifying relevant content from existing and new information sources; apply approved taxonomy and editorial guidelines; ensure important content is highlighted on site and through delivery mechanisms;
● Seeking out relevant humanitarian content from new sources, including social media networks;
● Quality control and verification of content as required;
● Providing regional or thematic coverage, drawing on language skills and regional experience;
● Make recommendations on how to improve the content editorial process, and, in particular, how to adapt this in light of technological improvements;
● Under minimum supervision, resolve cases ranging from simple to moderately complex while displaying empathy, good judgment, and common sense in addressing clients’ needs;
● Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Integrity & Inclusion:Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self and Others:Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.For people managers only:Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering:Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation:Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility:Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution Focused:Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication:Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Education / Experience / Language Requirements
● High School or Secondary School diploma is required.
● Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is desired and may be considered with the reduced relevant years of experience.
● At least four years of relevant experience and fair knowledge of managing websites (basic html, markdown), digital content management, client service operations using digital tools or experience in a related field is required;
● Understanding of web content management systems (CMS) including the use of taxonomy and content classification is desirable;
● Strong interest in international affairs, including emergency response, disaster management, peacebuilding and peacekeeping, development, Sustainable Development Goals, human rights and international humanitarian law, climate change, is desirable;
● Knowledge of the international humanitarian coordination system, including key actors in emergency response is desirable;
● Experience working as part of a virtual team is desirable.
● Written and spoken fluency in English is mandatory.
● Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an asset.
● Knowledge of other official UN languages is an asset.
● Ability to work independently as well as in a team is necessary;
● Flexibility in work days and hours is needed depending on the requirements by time zones;
● Ability to work off-site while maintaining communication with the team through online communication tools is necessary;
● Access to computing assets and connectivity adequate for discharge of duties is required.