India’s coronavirus death and case tolls have passed China’s, after the country recorded 175 new fatalities and 7,466 new cases.
The English Premier League and Italy’s Serie A are set to resume in June after a near-three month suspension over coronavirus fears.
China again reported no new cases as US President Donald Trump renewed attacks on Beijing over the coronavirus pandemic. He called the virus “a very bad gift from China”.
- European governments moved to halt the use of anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19 patients.
- More than 5.8 million cases of coronavirus have been confirmed around the world, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. Some 359,000 people have died, while more than 2.4 million have recovered.
Here are the latest updates:
Friday, May 29
08:50 GMT – Russia reports record one-day rise in coronavirus deaths
Russia reported 232 deaths from the new coronavirus in the last 24 hours, a record one-day amount that pushed the nationwide death toll to 4,374.
Officials said 8,572 new infections had been confirmed, bringing the national tally to 387,623, the third highest reported total in the world after the United States and Brazil.
08:30 GMT – Bulgaria to end quarantine on travel from most of EU
Bulgaria plans to lift an obligatory 14-day quarantine from June 1 for travellers from some European Union countries, but not those states with the biggest coronavirus outbreaks, a senior health official said.
The quarantine will remain obligatory for travellers from Sweden, Belgium, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Italy and Malta, the country’s chief health inspector said, as well as the UK, which is in a transition period after leaving the EU.
The health minister still needs to approve the move. A ban on the entry of visitors from outside the EU will remain in place.
08:15 GMT – Which countries have not reported any coronavirus cases?
The new coronavirus has been labelled a pandemic and has been reported in at least 188 countries, according to Johns Hopkins University’s data.
However, a handful of countries have not yet reported any cases of the virus.
Find out those countries here.
07:50 – Thailand to ease restrictions, shorten curfew hours
Thailand will next week shorten curfew hours and ease restrictions on more businesses, the government said, in response to its low numbers of locally transmitted cases of the coronavirus.
Starting from June 1, cinemas and theatres can reopen, but with no more than 200 people at a time and with strict social distancing measures, said Somsak Roongsita, secretary-general of the National Security Council.
A curfew will be shortened by one hour to last from 11pm to 3am and shopping malls, which reopened earlier this month, will also be allowed to extend their operating hours, he added.
07:30 – UK needs to start tapering its COVID furlough scheme: minister
Britain cannot run its COVID-19 jobs protection scheme indefinitely and needs to start tapering it down as people slowly return to work, environment minister George Eustice said.
“The furlough scheme has been incredibly important in terms of keeping people on standby and ready to return to work,” he told Sky News. “Clearly as we start to emerge from the lockdown and start to get our economy back to work, we can’t keep people on that furlough scheme indefinitely.”
“We need to start identifying ways of moving them off the furlough scheme and back into work… We need a furlough scheme that can be tapered down as people return to work.”
07:10 GMT – Singapore health ministry confirms 611 new cases
Singapore’s health ministry said it had confirmed 611 new coronavirus cases, taking the city state’s tally for infections to 33,860.
The country reported 23 deaths in total.
06:50 GMT – China to extend curbs on international flights until June 30: US embassy
Chinese civil aviation authorities plan to extend until June 30 their curbs on international flights imposed to restrain the spread of the coronavirus, the United States embassy in Beijing said in a travel advisory.
China has drastically cut such flights since March to allay concerns over infections brought by arriving passengers. A so-called “Five One” policy allows mainland carriers to fly just one flight a week on one route to any country and foreign airlines to operate just one flight a week to China.
06:25 GMT – Germany’s confirmed coronavirus cases rise by 741: RKI
The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 741 to 180,458, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed.
The reported death toll rose by 39 to 8,450, the tally showed.
06:00 GMT – Thailand reports 11 new coronavirus cases
Thailand confirmed 11 new coronavirus cases and no new deaths, taking the number of infections to 3,076.
The new cases were all patients who had arrived from Kuwait and were in quarantine, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman for the government’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration.
The coronavirus has killed 57 people in Thailand since it was first detected in January.
Hello, this is Umut Uras in Doha taking over this blog from my colleague Zaheena Rasheed.
05:41 GMT – South Korea plans to limit number of students returning to class
South Korea’s education ministry has announced plans to limit the number of students attending classes in schools in the Seoul metropolitan area amid a spike in new coronavirus infections.
The move comes just days after in-person classes resumed as part of a phased reopening of schools.
The Yonhap news agency quoted Park Baeg-beom, the vice education minister, as saying elementary and middle schools can only allow one-third of students to return to class while high schools can only take in two-thirds of their students.
05:05 GMT – Surge in cases as India prepares to lift lockdown
India has registered another record daily increase with 7,466 new coronavirus cases.
The Health Ministry’s new figures on Friday show India now has 165,799 cases with 4,706 deaths, which both now exceed China.
India’s two-month lockdown is set to end on Sunday. Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government is expected to issue new guidelines this weekend, possibly extending the lockdown in worst-hit areas as it promotes economic activity.
04:49 GMT – Brazil reports record cases, 1,000 deaths in 24 hours
Brazil registered a new record in COVID-19 cases and more than 1,000 deaths in a 24-hour period, according to official figures out Thursday.
The South American country has the world’s second-highest number of confirmed novel coronavirus cases – 438,238 – after the US. According to Health Ministry data, 26,417 new cases were confirmed in a 24 hour-period ending late on Thursday.
In that same period, Brazil experienced its third-highest number of virus deaths since the start of the pandemic: 1,156. That brought the total death toll to 26,754, the sixth highest in the world.
04:23 GMT – Colombia extends national quarantine until July
Colombia has extended a nationwide quarantine to contain the spread of the coronavirus until July 1, while allowing more freedom of movement in some parts of the country.
Thousands of businesses have begun to reopen in the Andean country, with new safety protocols and reduced staff, as a lockdown in place since late March was due to lift at the end of May.
Under the government-mandated extension that business restart will continue. Hairdressers and barbers are among the businesses allowed to reopen, along with museums and libraries, at the discretion of local mayors.
However, other broad restrictions will remain in place. Public transit between municipalities and domestic flights will remain barred and in many areas people are required to stay indoors.
04:13 GMT – WHO to reconsider role of China-based ambassador
The World Health Organization is reviewing the position of its goodwill ambassador, James Chau, who was involved in the airing of an alleged forced confession on Chinese state television, according to the Financial Times.
Chau, a television anchor with China’s state broadcaster, presented a programme that in 2013 aired a confession by British businessman Peter Humphrey, who claims he was filmed under duress.
“The matter is taken seriously, as any such complaint would be. It is currently under internal review, and therefore cannot be commented on,” the WHO said in a statement to The Financial Times.
03:38 GMT – Algeria extends partial lockdown until June 13
Abdelaziz Djerad, the prime minister of Algeria, has extended a partial lockdown in the majority of the country’s provinces for another 15 days.
Djerad lifted quarantine measures only in four provinces – Saida, Tindouf, Illizi and Tamanrasset – “following the favourable results” recorded there, according to Algeria Presse Service.
03:21 GMT – AIIB approves $750m loan for Philippines’ virus response
China-backed Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has said it had approved a $750m loan to the Philippines to help the country cope with the coronavirus pandemic.
The project, which will be co-financed by the Asian Development Bank, is intended to increase testing capacity, support vulnerable sectors like agriculture, and provide emergency assistance to poor households, according to a statement.
02:07 GMT – South Korea reports 58 cases
South Korea reported 58 new cases of the coronavirus for May 28, all in the densely populated Seoul metropolitan area, as officials scrambled to stem transmissions linked to a massive e-commerce warehouse near the capital.
Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun called for officials to examine working conditions at warehouses of online shopping companies, which have seen orders surge during the pandemic, and other congested workplaces where infection risks may be high.
South Korea has reported 177 new COVID-19 cases over the past three days, a resurgence that threatens to erase some of its hard-won gains against the virus and worsen a massive shock to the country’s trade-dependent economy.
01:55 GMT – India: Under Lockdown
Social distancing and good hygiene are essential weapons in the fight against COVID-19.
But how can you maintain social distancing in one of the world’s largest slums? How can you wash your hands regularly when there is no running water? And what happens when millions of people who survive on meagre wages are suddenly without work and struggling to feed themselves?
Check out this investigation from 101 East on how India’s poor fared under the world’s biggest lockdown.
01:40 GMT – Cricket-Twenty20 World Cup schedule under ‘very high risk’
Cricket Australia boss Kevin Roberts has downplayed the prospect of the Twenty20 World Cup going ahead in 2020, saying the October-November schedule was under “very high risk” due to the coronavirus pandemic.
“Obviously, we’ve been hopeful all along that it could be staged in October-November but you would have to say there is a very high risk about the prospect of that happening,” Roberts told reporters in a video call.
“In the event that doesn’t happen, there are potential windows in the February-March period, October-November the following year.”
00:46 GMT – China reports no new coronavirus cases
Health authorities in China have reported no new confirmed coronavirus cases in the mainland as of the end of May 28.
The National Health Commission, however, did confirm five new asymptomatic coronavirus cases on May 28, down from 23 a day earlier.
00:28 GMT – Australia’s New South Wales state warns of COVID-19 budget toll
The Australian state of New South Wales has said the coronavirus pandemic could cost it as much 20 billion Australian dollars ($13.3bn) in lost revenues over the next four years, underscoring the urgency to revive the country’s stuttering economy.
Releasing its first estimate of the economic effect of coronavirus, NSW said budget deficits totalling 10-20 billion Australian dollars are expected over the next four years, a far cry from its previous estimate in December 2019 of an average budget surplus of 1.9 billion Australian dollars ($1.3bn) over four years.
“We are facing the type of economic challenge not seen in generations, perhaps not since people were hammering the last rivet into the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the 1930s,” said NSW state Treasurer Dominic Perrottet.
00:16 GMT – 14 million additional people could go hungry in Latin America
The World Food Programme has said some 14 million people in Latin America and the Caribbean could experience severe food insecurity this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“It is vital and urgent that we provide food assistance to the growing number of vulnerable people in the region, as well as those who depend on informal work,” said Miguel Barreto, WFP regional director for Latin America and the Caribbean.
“We still have time to prevent the COVID-19 pandemic from becoming a hunger pandemic.”
Hello and welcome to Al Jazeera’s continuing coverage of the coronavirus pandemic. I’m Zaheena Rasheed in Male, Maldives.
You can find all the updates from yesterday, May 28 here.
Hello, this is Usaid Siddiqui in Doha taking over from my colleague Kate Mayberry.