POSITION: COUNTRY MANAGER
REPORTS TO: EAST AFRICA REGIONAL DIRECTOR
JOB LOCATION: MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
CONTRACT DURATION: 1 YEAR RENEWABLE
LANGUAGE REQUIRED:FLUENCY IN ENGLISH AND SOMALI (WRITTEN AND ORAL)
Duties and Responsibilities
- He/She will be responsible for managing all operations within Somalia and reporting to the East Africa Regional Director
- Ensure compliance with and adherence to Mercy-USA policies, guidelines and procedures
- Provide area specific input on organizational strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings at Country level
- Assess needs, develop emergency and recovery response and implement response plans within the country
- Represent Mercy-USA on a country level with all stakeholders, including government, development partners, coordination forums, and other implementing partners.
- Build strong relationships through networking with all relevant stakeholders in the Country.
- Ensure regular capacity building for all staff in the Country
- Assist the Regional Director in ensuring overall security and safety of staff in the Country with the help of Security Liaison points in the country and at Regional level
- Liaise with the federal government of Somalia and officials from the states of Somalia as need arise.
- Assist the Regional Director in designing and implementing coherent organizational structure that is consistent with agency practices and appropriate to program needs.
- Assist in identification and selection of potential candidates for program/project level financial and administrative assignments
- Approve as required, authorized levels of project related expenditures within the Country
- In coordination with your team in the field present quarterly program implementation status reports to the Head of Programs and sector managers and highlight any areas that may require special management attention
- Assist the regional director in ensuring measurement of achievement and progress toward project goals through timely submission of well-prepared annual plans and budgets for the country
- Conduct regular field visits to field program sites and activities on a regular basis to review overall status of program implementation.
- Maintain positive working relationships with all regional, state and federal level government authorities (project approvals, reporting, follow-up of projects implementation)
- Identify program development opportunities in the Country in partnership with authorities, UN partners and INGOs
- The Country Manager is expected to assist in the recruitment process and manage staff, including performance monitoring, and possibly mentoring and training.
-Degree in Health Sciences/Public Health/ Project Management/ Social Sciences/ International relations/Community Development or another relevant technical discipline
-Professional qualification will be an added advantage
-Master’s Degree in the specified field will be an added advantage
-5 years minimum in similar position
-3 Years’ experience working as a Senior Project Manager in a humanitarian emergency and recovery context
-Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
-Experience of implementing USAID,UN,EAC,DFID, ECHO funded projects
- Experience working with budgets, including managing financial outlays and expenditures
- Understanding, acceptance and respect of the Somalia context
- Responsible for the security management at the field level and pro-actively maintains and develops our local network of persons and groups within the community
-Previous work experience managing remote field teams
Work related skills
-Fluency in English and Somali (Written and Verbal)
-Strong experience in management of staff and programs, especially in a difficult and restricted context
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including diplomacy and negotiation
- Strong knowledge of the programme management cycle, and related process and structures for quality programme management
- Good organizational skills
-Good time management skills and able to meet deadlines
- Strategic thinking
- Result Oriented
-Able to meet set and meet own targets on a monthly basis and follow up targets of reporting colleagues
-Able to identify programme challenges and plan and communicate alternatives for smooth programme implementation
-Experience with scaling up of humanitarian programs in strictly controlled context is an asset
- Ability to work under pressure
- Team player
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong customer relation skills
- High level of integrity
About Mercy USA
Mercy-USA for Aid and Development is dedicated to alleviating human suffering and supporting individuals and their communities in their efforts to become more self-sufficient. Incorporated in the State of Michigan in 1988, Mercy-USA’s projects focus on improving health, nutrition and access to safe water, as well as promoting economic and educational growth around the world.
The position will close 25th February 2019. Any interested candidates can send their CV and cover letter to the following email address:email@example.com.
NB. CANDIDATES WILL BE SCREENED AS APPLICATIONS ARE RECEIVED