INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Country Programme Coordinator
Duty station: Damascus, Syria
Starting date: 01/02/2021
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: 1 expat, 5 national staff
Dependents: Non-family Duty Station /non-accompanied
General context of the project
The Country Programme Coordinator of INTERSOS Syria will assist the Head of Mission with the overall country programme development and management in accordance with INTERSOS’ country strategy, plans and policies. In coordination with the Deputy Regional Director of INTERSOS Middle East Region, the Country Programme Coordinator will endure technical and quality control on ongoing programmes and contribute to the development of new humanitarian interventions.
General purpose of the position
The Country Programme Coordinator will be responsible to support Syria mission in the startup of new humanitarian interventions, identification and design of new proposals in strong coordination with INTERSOS technical referents, contribution to the set-up of the mission, engagement with local stakeholders and negotiation with the main donors in line with the INTERSOS Syria Country Strategy.
- Ensuring a quality implementation of the projects implemented
- Coordinate and provide quality control and support to Project Managers in coordination with the Deputy Regional Director of INTERSOS Middle East Region
- Supervise the Project Managers and other staff (in coordination with HoM)
- Play a key role in the development and definition of the Country Strategy of the mission under the supervision and coordination of the HoM)
- Lead the development of new concept notes and project proposals (design of the project rationale, logframe, budget and narrative) in collaboration the Deputy Regional Director of INTERSOS Middle East Region and under the supervision of the HoM)
- Monitor, evaluate and support the implementation of the programmes, securing supervision and coordination with regards to donor reporting
- Represent INTERSOS in relevant meetings
- Act as Deputy Head of Mission and/Project Manager if and when required
Main responsibilities and tasks
Project management, reporting and quality control
- Supervise and keep up to date workplans and related financial plans of projects with the contribution of Project Managers and relevant team members, ensuring timely and quality implementation
- Guarantee the application of procurement procedures and donor’s rules for reporting and implementation
- With the support of Country Finance Coordinator, manage budgets in line with donor and INTERSOS guidelines, supporting budget and program revisions when needed
- Provide a support and supervision to the Project Managers through regular field visits, meeting with the staff and the line managers, supervise the planning of the activities and programmes
- Support the Head of Mission in the set up and supervision of the projects’ MEAL plans
- Coordinate with the Deputy Regional Director of Middle East to ensure technical and quality control of the programming in Syria
- Ensure all reports are properly drafted and submitted on time to HQ and donors
- In the absence of the Project Manager, perform management tasks related to project implementation both from a programmatic and financial standpoint.
- Supervise and strengthen Project Managers and other relevant staff
- In line with the INTERSOS Policies and in collaboration with HR department support the HoM in recruit, train, supervise and evaluation of the project staff team, including identification of capacity building gaps and implementation of related training sessions
- Ensure the project’s staff respect INTERSOS rules and regulations and adheres to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics
Strategy Development and Fundraising
- Support the Head of Mission for the development, implementation and evaluation of the mission strategy and program, providing updated information, inputs and recommendation for new and on-going interventions in the country, with special focus on the protection
- In cooperation with the HoM, national staff and HQ departments, contribute to the design of a Country Strategy for the Syria mission, in line with INTERSOS Global Strategy
- Lead the design and drafting of potential funding opportunities and the new project proposals
Monitor, Evaluation and Supervision
- Contribute to the set-up of MEAL strategy and tools for the mission and its programs
- Provide guidance and support to Project Managers of the work planning, budgets and spending
- Support Project Managers in the planning and the monitoring of implementation of activities and achievement of results
- Provide supervision feedback on the monthly Project Appraisal Tool (PAT), both at a technical and financial level
- Ensure that Project Managers draft and submit timely and high-quality donor reports
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
- In coordination with the HoM, establish and maintain collaborative relations with donors, project stakeholders and other organisations working in the project areas
- Participate in meetings with relevant donor’s program and finance officers at central or field level, following HoM and INTERSOS Program Sector Adviser guidelines
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings at national and subnational level
Other objectives and duties:
- Upon request of the Head of Mission and based on needs of the mission for the effective implementation and quality of the strategy and programmes
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree in humanitarian related field (international relation, social studies, IHL, IHRL)
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience at similar position (programme coordination, proposal writing, project management ) in a humanitarian context. Knowledge and experience in the Middle East region is preferred.
- Project Management
- Programme Coordination
- HR Management
- Proposal Writing
- Financial Management
- Networking and Advocacy
- English is mandatory
- Arabic is an advantage
- Proactiveness and strong problem-solving approach
- Flexibility to adapt to a dynamic context and to the volume of work
- Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work and adapt in different environments
- High reactivity to unexpected demands
- Capacity to work under stress and meets the deadlines
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “Platform issue – SR-53-1628 – Country Programme Coordinator”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.