Organization: UN Children’s Fund
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, fair chance
How can you make a difference?
UNICEF Gulf Area Office (GAO) supports the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and its line ministries and authorities to advance the rights of children under the framework of a Gulf Area Programme (2014-2018). Through this framework, UNICEF GAO and its lead partner in the UAE, the Supreme Council for Motherhood and Childhood (SCMC) signed an annual work plan to work on a number of key areas in collaboration with different authorities (both public and private) to implement the following programme. The next Gulf Area Programme (2019-2023) has been approved and includes an on-going focus on improving the availability and quality of child-related data.
The UAE has witnessed significant achievements towards the wellbeing of children and it is indeed well positioned to set ambitious targets in the context of Sustainable Development Goals. However, data, particularly child-focused data remains limited (both baseline as well as periodic updates).
In March 2017, the UAE Cabinet office approved the National Strategy for Motherhood and Childhood 2017- 2021. Outcome number 5 of this Strategy is to: strengthen evidence-based planning and knowledge development to ensure the rights of the child. UNICEF GAO, under the overall guidance of its regional and headquarter offices, is seeking a Consultant who will support key milestones of this result area. An international consultancy firm will be: 1) undertaking a diagnostic of the current data landscape and situation 2) developing an action plan to strengthen child data system (informed by best practice globally), 3) supporting a capacity development plan towards the implementation of the action plan.
Recognizing that this programme will involve substantial coordination and organizational efforts to ensure the inputs of all affected national actors, UNICEF GAO is looking for a Coordinator (with experience in statistics or data consolidation or analysis) to provide day-to-day support and assistance to consultancy firm, to UNICEF and to the national counterparts.
The purpose of this consultancy is to Coordinate the day-to-day activities related to the child data programme in UAE for UNICEF GAO.
The description of the assignment would be as the following:
- Work closely with international consultancy firm and coordinate their field visits, organize stakeholder meetings, ensure consistent communications with stakeholders to gather required documents from relevant authorities;
- Assist in reviewing relevant documents and data by Government and other providers. (Review all documents in Arabic and extract, summarize, and translate the relevant findings to English);
- Assist in reviewing and collating existing indicators available in the UAE;
- Assist in technically reviewing consolidated indicators in the areas of childhood and motherhood to be approved by the UAE Cabinet;
- Assist in technically reviewing the Action Plan to collect, document and audit indicators and reporting;
- Review the Arabic translation of action plan developed by the international consultancy firm;
- Assist in identifying the needs of education and health sectors and the plans to strengthen their management information system related to children;
The consultant will be expected to deliver the following:
Monthly progress reports outlining coordination efforts in support of deliverables of the international consultancy firm. Each report should outline:
- Progress made in mapping existing indicators in the UAE,
- Progress in consolidating indicators in the areas of childhood and montherhood,
- Progress on the development of the national data action plan;
- Progress in fulfilling technical assistance requests by the line ministries in health and education to improve routine administrative data;
- Meetings organized and facilitated in support of the above.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have¦
- Postgraduate degree preferably in data, statistics, Biostatistics, qualitative and quantitative researches and related fields
- At least 8 years of experience in policy and planning work related to international development is required, with proven work record on various national and subnational admin data systems, vital registration systems and statistical offices.
- Experience with the government sector as well as UN agencies (preferably with exposure to the Arab/Gulf region)
- Excellent communication, research, analytical and writing skills.
- Fluent in both English and Arabic (written and spoken)
- Candidate must have valid residence permission in UAE
For every Child, you demonstrate¦
UNICEFs core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are¦.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=516987