Data systems training and support officer
The key responsibility of the role is to support GOAL staff to use management information systems (MIS) for programmatic monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning (MEAL) effectively and efficiently. Part of HQ MEAL Team, reporting to the Global MIS Manager and through their advisement, the officer will use different methods to strengthen GOAL’s capacity on all aspects of programmatic data systems from design to implementation. Alongside the MIS Manager, the data systems and training support officer will ensure GOAL has accurate and timely reporting on programmes and its strategy.
The main MIS platforms used within GOAL are CommCare for mobile data collection and storage, and Power BI for data analysis and reporting. The role is to be the focal point at GOAL for all staff at HQ and country offices on training, support, and guidance for programmatic use of these platforms. Additional responsibilities will include managing the intranet site in SharePoint for MEAL at GOAL.
The ideal candidate will have the technical skills required for information management, experience of training staff in difficult / complex environments, and knowledge of systems and data for MEAL.
- Work closely with the MIS Manager to provide capacity strengthening in-country and remotely on management information systems including mobile data collection tool building and reporting dashboard creation.
- Contribute to the design of training courses and production of material for in-person workshops, remote sessions, and self-guided learning.
- Under the advisement of the MIS Manager produce technical manuals, instruction videos, guidance documentation, and e-learning courses.
- Support GOAL staff to produce and conduct country or programme specific technical trainings and guidance.
- Work closely with the MIS Manager on managing the MIS helpdesk by providing effective and efficient support to GOAL staff for CommCare and Power BI, troubleshooting problems as they arise.
- Provide technical advice and guidance on designing, building, and implementing MIS.
- Identify MIS issues proactively and work with the MIS Manager to mitigate data risks.
- Support the overall platform management of CommCare, and ensure the system is being used in accordance with the data protection policy and other relevant procedures.
- Work with country offices to improve the management of their MIS, including user management and usage monitoring.
- Keep up to date with new MIS functionalities and best practice.
Strategic Reporting and Data Quality
- Support the MIS Manager in conducting data quality audits on strategic data and other global datasets.
- Clean datasets managed by MEAL HQ and check reporting accuracy.
- Champion programmatic data accuracy and completeness across the organisation.
- Support country staff to ensure quality programmatic / MEAL data.
MEAL Team Support
- Manage the MEAL SharePoint intranet site.
- Ensure intranet content is up-to-date, complete, and accessible.
- Assist MEAL HQ colleagues with information management, data analysis, and knowledge sharing tasks.
- The post holder may be requested to undertake other activities on mutual agreement with senior staff. This job description is intended as a guide to the position and is subject to change at GOAL’s discretion.
- An undergraduate degree in information technology, statistics, social sciences, development studies, or similarly relevant discipline.
- Capacity to design and manage mobile data collection tools within ODK-based systems, ideally CommCare.
- Advanced computing skills for data management, analysis, visualisation, and reporting, ideally in Power BI or similar analytics platforms.
- Experience using data management and manipulation languages, eg. DAX, Xpath, python, SQL.
- Proven capability to design and conduct effective technical training.
- Familiarity in conducting training under challenging field conditions.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills with a wide range of audiences, able to translate complex information and technical detail into simple understandable language.
- Knowledge of MEAL methodologies, including result frameworks and indicators, quantitative and qualitative research, and data analysis.
- Ability to take instruction, work under pressure, and with minimum supervision.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Fluency in English, oral and written.
- A postgraduate degree in information technology, statistics, social sciences, development studies, or similarly relevant discipline.
- Experience in information technology, eg. server management or coding.
- Experience in using statistical software packages such as SPSS or R.
- Experience of working with spatial data and geographic information systems (GIS).
- Knowledge of e-learning best practice and platforms.
- Working knowledge of French, Spanish, or Arabic
Our package includes a competitive salary, 22 days annual leave and the possibility to join our Health care scheme. Additional benefits are available after 12 months of service.
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.