DEDAT Tourism Product Development Fund in South Africa
The Department of Economic Development and Tourism (DEDAT) is requesting organizations and businesses from both private and public organizations to apply for project funding by the Tourism Product Development Fund 2020.
The Tourism Product Development Fund supports the development of new tourism products and experiences and/or major upgrading of existing tourism products and experiences to increase the Western Cape’s destination attractiveness to visitors.
The Tourism Product Development seeks to develop new or existing tourism products and experiences within the Western Cape.
The Fund will only support new or existing tourism products and experiences that address gaps and opportunities identified by the draft Tourism Blueprint 2030.
Organizations applying for funding must have demonstrable experience in implementing similar projects. Projects must be ready to be implemented during the 2020/2021 financial year but not necessarily completed.
The funding provided by the Department, however, would need to be spent during the 2020/2021 financial year.
Although co-funding is not a requirement, this will be advantageous.
A total of R5 million is available for disbursement in the current financial year ending March 2021.
The submitted proposals must be structured towards one of the following categories:
- A new tourism product or experience offered by the organisation;
- Expanding an existing tourism product or experience offered by the organisation.Funding Criteria
At a minimum, applicants and applications must meet all the following criteria:
- The project must address one of the gaps identified in the draft Tourism Blueprint 2030;
- The minimum funding request is R200 000.00;
- Applicants must be a recognised legal entity/organisation/institution;
- Applicants must demonstrate that they have an established and appropriate monitoring and evaluation system;
- Applicants must be fully compliant with administrative requirements;
- Applicants (contracted parties) must be solvent, have been operating for more than two years, and having audited annual financial statements for the most recent financial year (but not older than 18 months);
- The proposed product or experience must describe the project’s potential for job creation and/ or retention;
- Applicant administration systems must align with good governance processes and robust monitoring and evaluation must be built into the project design;
- Applicants who have secured additional project funding, thus not only reliant on the funding provided by the Tourism Product Development Fund, will be given preference.Exclusion
The following proposals will not be considered:
- Tourism products and experiences not explicitly addressing the regional product gaps identified by Tourism Blueprint 2030;
- Projects not ready for rollout and completion by March 2021 (projects may, however, be broken into multi-year phases as long as the Fund contribution can be utilised in the
- current financial year for a specific project phase);
- Projects seeking less than R200 000.00 funding assistance;
- Where previous audited financial statements (not older than 18 months) cannot be supplied;
- Proposals not in the prescribed template (the template forms part of the application form);
- Organisations that are not legal entities;
- Organisations that are not tax compliant;
- Organisations that are less than 24 months old.Application Requirements
- To be considered for funding, applicants are required to submit a completed application form as well as a written proposal with the relevant supporting annexures. Proposals must, as a minimum, contain the following information:
- Structured according to the criteria specified in the Application Form:
- Company profile;
- Description of the project;
- Project impact;
- Monitoring and evaluation plan;
- Implementation plan with timelines;
- Cash flow;
- Detailed budget breakdown.Apply by 14th August.
For more information and application details, see; DEDAT Tourism Product Development Fund in South Africa