Responsible for overall leadership of ABA ROLI’s programs in the Human Rights and Access to Justice in Niger (HRAJ) program. Ensures technical excellence of ABA ROLI’s access to justice activities, provides technical advice to the HRAJ project team, and provides leadership for HRAJ program staff in support of the COP. Provides oversight of implementation and ensures quality of program deliverables. The DCOP will exercise delegated authority from the COP on all project-related management, program implementation, and communication with USAID. Represents ABA ROLI within the HRAJ consortium and externally to USAID and international donors located in the country and provides updates on relevant political and legal developments in the countries, major progress for awarded programs, and impact through tangible monitoring and evaluation data. The DCOP reports to the Director of the Africa Division, ABA ROLI, with a dotted line for coordination purposes to the HRAJ COP.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops, implements, and enhances program priorities and ensures interventions are aligned with the overall mission, vision, and values of the program and that they are responsive to local needs. Incorporates program learning into decision-making and strategic direction of the program
- Advises the COP and program managers on technical issues related to access to justice and human rights.
- Coordinates with HRAJ staff to promote a holistic, integrated implementation of project objectives.
- Trains project staff, partners, and external stakeholders on access to justice and human rights substantive issues related to the program.
- Holds responsibility for the ABA program budget and ensures expenditures are in line with project objectives and consistent with ABA finance and compliance rules and regulations.
- Works closely with the DC-based ABA ROLI Finance and Program team.
- Supports the development and use of monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) of program activities to inform technical strategy, integrates learning, recommends adjustments to the components workplans and approaches to the COP and to the consortium.
- Works collaboratively with the COP and other program personnel, including program managers and program officers.
- Manages and oversees program staff assigned as direct reports, including a program manager, program officers, and any consultants contracted for the project.
- As Deputy COP, exercises delegated authority for the COP on all project-related management aspects, including:
- Providing guidance and oversight for all program personnel
- Providing guidance and oversight of program activities including training, meetings with stakeholders and partners, and any other relevant activities
- Working in collaboration with the COP, provides input to the recruitment of program personnel and leads the recruitment of relevant ABA technical staff on the project.
- Provides support on all program reporting obligations as DCOP and assumes primary responsibility
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with ABA and donor policies, practices, procedures, and regulations. Accountable for adherence to and compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act [FCPA]
- Performs quality oversight of financial management of all offices within his/her portfolio, conducting periodic reviews of expenditures for accuracy and reasonableness.
- Monitors the operational, political, and legal environment within the host countries and keeps senior management informed of environmental shifts that might positively/negatively impact operations
- Mentors and trains staff in strategic implementation of programs, overall program management, integration of MEL data for decision making, and reporting. Ensures all approved targets and components are effectively resourced to optimize attainment of the objectives. Provides leadership, coaching, counseling, development to and through assigned employees.
- Performs other related duties as coordinated with the COP.
Partnership and representation responsibilities
- Creates, fosters, nurtures, and expands working relationships with host government representatives, local justice actors, other NGOs, and similarly situated entities to bolster and enhance the opportunity for achieving/exceeding ABA and ROLI plan/program objectives.
- Liaises with potential donors, embassies, and private foundations, and identifies new funding opportunities from USG and non-USG donors.
How to apply
Interested applicants please submit your applications using the URL below: