Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam.
To work with others to overcome poverty and suffering
The Deputy Country Director – Programmes (DCD-P) will be responsible for the development, design and management/monitoring of the country programmes and for ensuring Oxfam in Lebanon’s programme are in line with the Oxfam Country Strategy (OCS), as well as responds to priority needs and contextual trends. He/She will ensure the proper, effective and timely implementation of programme strategies and plans maintaining the coordination, linkages and synergies within and between the long-term development and humanitarian/resilience programmes, as well as contribute to linking these programmes with influencing/policy and ensuring programme quality. The DCD-P will be responsible for developing with the CD and relevant team a strong country programme with strong synergy between different elements including its regional dimensions in link with the Syria Crisis.
The DCD-P will have a direct line report to the CD and will be a member of the Country Management Team.
Location: Beirut, with frequent travel to Zahle and Tripoli
Internal Grade: B2
Job Family: Programme
Contract type: Fixed Term
Hours of work: (Flexible Working Hours) 40 hours per week. This is a full-time role; however, Oxfam offers various flexible arrangements which candidates can discuss with the Recruiting Manager at interview stage
This role reports to: Country Director
Staff reporting to this post: Humanitarian Programme Coordinator, Economic Justice Programme Coordinator, Active Citizenship & Good Governance Programme Coordinator, PMEAL Coordinator, Gender Advisor
Annual budget for the post: approximately GBP 7 million annual
Screening checks:All successful candidates will be screened through Refinitiv World-Check One to comply with counter terrorism and financial sanctions regulations.
Start Date: This position is available as of Mid December to ensure overlap and handover with current postholder.
- Develops long-term vision and strategic planning to achieve significant impact through high quality programming and leadership
- Leads strategic engagement with partners
- Coordinates and oversees delivery of agreed plans and programmes, integrating humanitarian response and development programmes with policy and advocacy, based on the one programme approach
- Plans and objectives contribute to broader program strategy and can involve collaboration with other departments, requiring strong conceptual and analytical skills
- Management tasks and problems are complex, non-routine and sometimes unexpected.
- Representation in coordination meetings and critical external relationships (eg municipalities and governance structures, humanitarian stakeholders, interagency coordination)
- Shows the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to a wide audience.
- Decision-making is strategic and operational and requires significant levels of judgement based on technical and management experience, and a range of external and internal factors.
- Demonstrates a well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at many levels
- Recognises the support required to manage change and is a role model for their team in this process.
- Impacts and influences within the country programme
- Influences the diverse internal/external target audiences in area/region of deployment regarding the protracted humanitarian programme, with linkages to long-term resilience and development programming, requiring proven communication, facilitation and representation skills.
- Support the CD and Business Development Coordinator in pro-active local fundraising and maintenance of current donor and counterpart relations and with potential donors (both multilateral and bilateral donors).
- Manages a significant number of staff and have budgetary responsibility for multiple programmes, involving strong operational management experience and capability
- Provides specialist advice to country and regional line management on humanitarian and development issues and possibly interfacing with media/public on humanitarian and development issues.
- In-depth knowledge of the principles underlying the key purpose and role of programme leadership, coordination and management is required to make decisions affecting the team and which may impact more widely in the division/programme Recruit and manage staff in line with Oxfam policies, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, training and support as required.
- Ensure Oxfam representation in appropriate external programmatic forums based in Beirut and other locations as appropriate.
- Produce timely reports as required
- Participate in and contribute to the strengthening of the Lebanon Country Management Team (CMT)
- Building effective programme teams
- Manage the programme team to deliver on the 5 year OCS, providing leadership, inspiration and guidance and ensuring that the management of the team is in line with Oxfam’s HR policies and procedures
- With support from HR and the CD, ensure an efficient and relevant staffing structure, managing the life cycle of individuals within the team from pre-recruitment to exit, in line with Oxfam policies, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, support and opportunities for development and training as required.
- Implement the Oxfam performance management system with all direct reports, ensuring clear work objectives and completed end of deployment reviews and develop the performance management system where possible within the programme.
- Ensure effective use of technical expertise across the country structure, building synergies and facilitating cross-learning in the country team.
- Under the overall leadership and guidance of the CD, develop Oxfam’s long-term vision and provide a clear strategic direction for the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Oxfam’s humanitarian, development and ensure strong linkages to influencing work in Lebanon with the Lebanon Policy Lead.
- Provide overall technical and strategic support to ensure coherence and assure high quality design of Oxfam’s work, actively promoting the integration of programmes and coordination with policy, MEAL, gender and other relevant country units.
- Embody and ensure that Oxfam Feminist Principles are mainstreamed
- Work with the CD to develop Oxfam’s Country Operating Plans and Budget and support the CD in monitoring overall performance of the Country Strategy in Lebanon
- Contribute to the development, review and implementation of Oxfam’s humanitarian preparedness, strategy and investment plan in country.
- Support and maintain strategic alliances and partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders including national and local authorities, donors, multilateral agencies, partners, as well as within Oxfam confederation (partner affiliates, knowledge hubs, Global Humanitarian Team, etc.)
Programme Development, Management and Coordination
- Provide leadership and guidance for the effective planning, design, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of programmes and projects in line with Oxfam’s values, policies and procedures
- Oversee start up and design of innovative longer-term programming in support of humanitarian/ resilience programming (WASH, EFSVL and Protection), Economic Justice and Active Citizenship and Good Governance pillars in particular, leading and supporting the work of the Programme coordinators and ensure that gender is mainstreamed throughout all areas of our work
- Where relevant, lead on design of technical research studies to develop an evidence base for new programming (and policy, as relevant)
- Work with other senior management to establish appropriate funding streams in support of our strategic programme direction and in line with the country funding strategy.
- Coordinate fundraising opportunities with the various Programme coordinators and the funding team;
- Lead on identification of appropriate partners for high quality, relevant programming and policy work within Lebanon
- Supporting the PMEAL Coordinator, in the development robust MEAL tools and capacities across all teams and programmes.
- Overall responsible for monitoring the context/situation – adapting/developing plans for assessments, expansion of activities, etc
- Oversee the partner portfolio, with specific reference to the identification of both implementing and strategic partners, and building and maintaining these relationships
- Ensure a comprehensive understanding of Oxfam’s partnership approach, including work with coalitions and networks, across all pillars of work, which adopts a strategic, proactive perspective on how to achieve partner led approaches to achieve sustainable change
Fundraising and Grant Management and Finance
- Under the leadership of the Country Director and in collaboration with Programme coordinators and Managers, as well as the Funding Coordinator:
- Ensure that Oxfam’s programmes have sufficient, appropriate and consistent funding, clearly communicating Programme funding needs and priorities, maintaining and developing new and existing donor relationships (including high quality programme implementation, excellent donor contract management and facilitating donor visits), ensuring that programme teams develop high quality and timely concept notes and proposals and seeking opportunities for maximizing impact through brokering and leverage wherever possible.
- Ensure that the programmes are cost effective, efficient and complies with all organizational standards of management and accountability;
- Work with Finance and programme coordinators to ensure that budgets/projections are drawn up for all activities, and that costs are kept within budgets, providing a monthly financial projection
- Responsible for monitoring of overall programme budgets, including forecasts and spend rates for each programme in coordination with the programme coordinators, flagging up anomalies of spend to the Country management and carrying out quarterly analysis of trends in financial spend Vs projection
- Ensure that Oxfam meets all contractual obligations and achieves high quality proposal and donor reporting on time
- Take measures to limit risks to the programme
Driving Improvements in Programme Quality and Partnerships
- Ensure adherence to Oxfam’s policies and programme standards including humanitarian standards as well as compliance with Oxfam’s Common Approach to MEL and Social Accountability (CAMSA) and partnership principles.
- Ensure compliance with donor contractual obligations and that all reporting is of good quality and is done in a timely manner.
- Monitor and evaluate programme work to maintain and/or improve the quality incorporating learning and supporting cross-programme learning, promoting thematic and sectorial synergies and knowledge learning across the country office and beyond.
- Ensure ongoing constructive relationships with partners and work with diverse teams to strengthen partner capacity
- Ensure effective use of OPAL and take initiatives to improve learning and sharing of programme experience (within the programme and beyond), including cross programme learning.
- Ensure ongoing constructive relationships with partners and work with teams to strengthen partner capacity
- Ensure a comprehensive understanding of Oxfam’s partnership approach, including work with coalitions and networks, across all pillars of work, adopting a strategic, proactive perspective on how to achieve partner led approaches to achieve sustainable change
- Ensure strong gender mainstreaming across all programmes
- Support the CD to coordinate with Oxfam international affiliates and partners on policy, programs and advocacy issues and concerns.
- Support the CD in relevant programme research and knowledge generation ensuring the integration of cross cutting, regional and global issues.
Your commitment to Oxfam
- Required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles
Key Organisational Attributes
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to undertake Oxfam’s safeguarding training and adherence of relevant policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences
Essential – Experience, Knowledge, Qualifications & Competencies
- At least 10 years of experience in managing complex multi-sector programmes (humanitarian and development)in a complex and protracted crisis e, ability to integrate a one-programme-approach
- Advanced University degree in international relations, international development, pubic administration, or other social sciences fields.
- Previous Experience as DCD or CD a string advantage
- A proven record of effective leadership in the NGO sector, especially in conflict/post conflict contexts.
- Ability to challenge, motivate and develop a team through periods of programme change.
- Ability to work with significant levels of autonomy and make prompt and sound decisions.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to work with others to develop strategy into action and communicating and influencing this to a wider audience.
- Knowledge and experience of promoting gender equity, and an active commitment to promoting the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of programme work.
- Experience of programme planning, and competent use of project management tools.
- Knowledge and Experience of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning as well as Programme Quality
- The ability to meet agreed deadlines in a stressful and fast paced environment, will be critical.
- Proven experience of effective management in both longer term development programmes and complex humanitarian situations, including managing finances, staff and funding of the programme (contract design and management).
- Experience of managing staff: challenging, motivating, developing and inspiring team members
- Sensitivity to cultural differences, and the ability to work in a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- High-level interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to influence and liaise effectively with key stakeholders and representation in high profile environments.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential, Arabic would be a strong advantage.
- Knowledge of the Middle Eastern context, and preferably Lebanese context
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to apply
Interested Candidates should submit their applications via the following link:
National Candidates with relevant expertise and expirence are encouraged to apply.